Identifying Toughlon and Oracover

I'm repairing the King Altair and I think I've got enough film for the patches but it will be touch and go. I may need to buy some more orange, but there is a problem in that I can't remember whether it's Oracover/Profilm or Toughlon. It's not Solarfilmas it's a lighter shade of orange. The only clue is that it's got a clear backing. I'm pretty sure that either Oracover or Toughlon use a white backing but I can't remember which. Can anyone help? You can see the shade of orange in my avatur.

Advert

What, does no-one know which brand has the white backing? I am surprised.

As it happens I had enough to patch the wing but not enough for the nose. I'd take a sample to Weston Park but I'm trying to get the model airworthy for the Barkston Festival of Flight in two weeks, I guess the only sure way would be to order a metre of Profilm/Oracover and one of Toughlon.

Or maybe put a black anti-dazzle panel on the nose instead of the orange?

I believe that one brand or the other has a white backing film, I hoped someone might have known which so that I could identify it by elimination.

I guess you're right Brian, anti-dazzle is the easy optionfrown

ps - the MVVS15 survived unmarked - a better result than I had planting it in an adjacent field when it used to power the Joker!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/05/2013 09:58:01

Bob

Just had a look through the scrap covering box and the only film i have with a white backing is the stuff from Giant Shark and as you know the quality of the GS stuff is in between Solarfilm and profilm

I have profilm / oracover scraps and they all have clear backing

Went through my box of covering and the only one with a white paper backing is Hanger 9 Ultracote which is actually Oracover (printed on the backing). My roll of transparent red oracover has a clear backing.

So that doesn't make it any easier! Sorry Bob.

thanks to all who replied, that's been helpfull.

Jim, that does look like Solarfilm which is several shades darker than whatever's on the KA but thanks for the offer anyway.  Solarfim Supershrink comes on a roll btw.

I now suspect the orange is Worlds Models Toughlon, so I'll try Steve Webb for some.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/05/2013 19:12:01