what would be the best plane to learn solo with?

craigyboy

Diagram of a way to get the wing dihedral even on both sides. Prop two flat boards at correct angle and then lay wings on this and glue to centre section. I would 'beef up' the area where teh wing joins the centre section, thickening parts and posiibly adding another ply dihedral brace.

image.jpg

Edited By Daniel Hingston on 02/06/2013 11:38:51

Advert

Sorry craigyboy, i just read your older posts so I understand if you don't want to find a club. You should be fine learning with Tomboy on your own. Just make sure that it is not too heavy, the centre of gravity is correct (I think it is shown on the plan). I needed some help but that was because I made the mistake of having far to great control throws on the rudder, ie it could swing almost 40 degrees each way. In actual fact when you fly Tomboy you will see that only a tiny rudder input is needed to corner it. Hand launch it on full throttle and it should almost go straight up. Then throttle back and gently ease it round with tiny rudder inputs. Initially you will only need to elevator to bring the nose up on landing.

When you feel the battery is low (you will notice as it will require slightly more throttle to keep the plane airborne), bring it in to land. Cut the throttle completely so you can focus on the rudder. Keep it straight into wind and it will glide down nicely. When you are just a few feet up, introduce some up elevator to bring the nose up.

Where I fly the grass is very long, so the landing is simply a case of getting close to the ground and letting the grass catch and cushion it. It often ends up upside down, but no damage is done. Make sure you have the throttle completely off when you touch down so as to reduce the chance of damaging the prop or the motor.

Again, you may be comfortable with all this already as I think you said you have flown several rc planes before, but it may be a help

Daniel