Does anyone have a Bedlam?

Advert

Actually Tom it was a 50p B&Q tile sander - the flat type with holes in it.

I debated as to whether to do a test glide or just throw this thing off the edge.

The test glide won, and the other evening I managed to nose the Bedlam into the ground from five feet high - only had the elevator controls reversed - something we experienced modellers always check after building. The result was just a slightly crinkled nose.

Anyway, to the important bit - the maiden flight.

Had a day off today and with a 15mph southerley forecasted, headed straight for the Hole of Horcum on the North Yorks Moors.

The moment of trepidation where you are standing on the edge of a steep slope and about to launch a model for the first time! - the Bedlam flew straight up and out and with a touch of down trim was beautifully stable! - I even remembered to extend the aerial on the transmitter!

What a delight this machine is to fly! It is fairly fast and very responsive - I needed the 60% expo which I had set on both the elevator/flapperons and ailerons!

Loops, stall turns and rolls (true axial ones) are no problem - haven't plucked up the courage to try a bunt yet as there was a lot of turbulence about which the Bedlam flew straight through with no problem.

Lost the lift at one stage and ended up with 6" of nose buried in earth - thankfully soft peat. I think my Middlephase would have been in several pieces after such a good landing - the Bedlam just had a snapped wing bolt and dowel, and a slightly more crinkled nose.

So, climbed back up the hill, replaced the bolt and dowel (trying to cadge some spare ones from Stan at Phoenix) and carried on flying.

After several long flights, two and a half hours and a flat transmitter battery (must invest in some lipos) I think that I am falling in love with this machine - just don't tell the wife!

So, is it worth the hassle of having to dig out the wing spar slots, the mess of spray adhesive, and attempting to accurately but join cross weave tape? The answer is a definite yes!

Have made one modification since flying - some foam strip type draft excluder on the wing seating to firm things up a bit.

If you guys want something fairly fast, totally aerobatic and pretty unbreakable, give Stan at Phoenix Models a ring and get yourtselves some Bedlam.

I'm off to sort out my wrinkled nose!

nice, good to hear of a good maiden report.

Try using snap flaps - about 5-6mm if you aren't already.  It makes the turns and loops harder, if you like that.

The plane also responds well to camber and relfex changes. A bit of reflex in big air works well.  Camber in light conditions keeps the plane up on a lot less lift than you might imagine.   

Thanks Tom,

Am using snap flaps coupled to elevator (5-6mm) and have found that the Bedlam is capable of coming out of loops at a higher point than entry - pretty impressive stuff.

Will try camber and reflex changes.

On our steep slopes, I am often in the situation where the lift is "too good" and a lot of neck craning is needed due to the height of the model.

It sounds like a bit of reflex flap will sort this out nicely.

Will let you know how it works.

ps I can recommend the correx tailplane leading edge treatment (cut out about 1/4" of the centre, fold together and apply diamond tape to keep it there).

There's nowt sluggish about my rear end!

• 4 months later...

I fancy adding a foamie (for the rockier slopes around here) to my garage so I've been considering buying a Bedlam. I want something fully aerobatic and I've always wanted to try rudder too so the Bedlam looks ideal.

I once watched a good pilot flying a Phase 6 and was impressed. Is the Bedlam as good as the Phase 6?

My friend has a Phase 6 and I have a Middlephase in addition to my Bedlam.

The Phase 6 is heavier, has more inertia for loops etc and is marginally better for pure aerobatics in a good wind.

On a good slope the Bedlam will fly in a wind of 8mph - the Phase 6 just doesn't have a chance.

I fly with a rearward C of G as I like a responsive beast and in winds of 20mph+ the Bedlam is too light and gets buffeted around.

However, with 6oz of ballast (mine is in the fuz - the really technical guys incorporate ballast tubes into the wings) the Bedlam is a very different animal.

I was on the slope today with six other guys (15mph wind giving good lift) and My Bedlam with ballast was the fatsest and most areobatic thing there. I must say that there were no expensive glass or carbon ships present.

The Phase 6 does seem to have a weak point in the fuz around the wing attachment area and crunches easily with a bad landing.

Although not indestructible, the Bedlam usually bounces and is ready to launch again.

If I had a Phase 6, I wouuld glass the fuz throughout on the inside, as I have with my Middlephase.

On balance, the Bedlam with ballast comes a close second to the Phase 6, but on your rocks.........

Come to Horcum one day and have a go with my Bedlam for yourself.

Hope this helps,

Peter.

Thanks Peter that helps a great deal. I've just been watching some You Tube vids and reading a Bedlam build thread on another forum, so yes, I think I'll go for one.

The alternative is one of the PMP wings, particularly the Impulse. Looks to be a very nippy model, but I have the Mini Dragon if I just want speed.

Incidentally, I haven't yet flown the Mini Dragon.. in fact I haven't flown for 15 years, so I'm getting desperate! I've just received my club membership so I've been out both days this weekend... there was almost zero wind yesterday, and a feeble easterly today (no decent slope that I know of for easterly around here). Gah

Ta for the offer. I'd love to come up to the Hole of Horcum one day

the bedlam is a better all round soarer than the p6 imho.  The p6 is and indeed, dare i say it, the middle phase, are, imho held back by their old fashioned wing sections. the bedlams m42 wing is a good all round soaring section that allows the model to fly in light lift quite easily. and it's not what you'd call a light weight model.  a proper spackle/tape/goop foam build takes a long time but the performance is up there with woodies.....

compared to a mini dragon it will be fairly slow, but less inclided to fall to bits if it find itself in conflict with terra firma.