JR XG 8 - New Model Set Up

Piper Cub

Are there any XG 8 users here who can answer the following for me please?

I have my XG 8 set up for my TRex 600 ESP. It is the only model settings in (on?) the XG 8.

I want to add my leccie Piper Cub to the XG 8 but Im a little confused by the User Manual (no surprise because its poorly laid out and not clear!).

When I go to the menu option Model Type Select, screen 1 shows Heli, Acro, Glider. I presume this is where I change the radio setting from Heli (TRex) to Acro (Piper Cub) but, when I select Acro, the message 'model data will be initialised. Are you sure?' displays.

The User Guide says Caution, all previous data will be erased! Does this mean I lose all the TRex settings I have carefully put into and adjusted in the XG 8?

Surely the idea of these radios is you can easily switch between models (it has a 30 model memory) and dont have to enter all the settings afresh for each model? What am I missing?

I realise the rx needs to be re bound when changing model types but how do I set up the XG 8 for the Piper Cub without losing all the ones for my TRex?

Advert

I don't have any experience of the XG 8 but unless you select a new model memory - there will be a 'Model Select' screen before the Model Type screen - you will certainly over-write the Trex settings. Move the model select to a new memory before you select the type of model, Acro in this case.

Chances are it will ask you to confirm before selecting the model type as a double-check, new memory or notthumbs up

Pete

Hi Pete.

There is a Model Select screen and this currently just lists the TRex. The User Manual shows an example where there's more than one model set up so you just scroll to the one you want and bingo! It goes on to say in translated English, 'In this screen, the establishing of new models and switching between models is carried out'!

I can see how switching between models works but creating new ones!? sad

Aah! Think I may have sussed it! In Model Select, click on the existing model name which displays a second screen. This contains the TRex then blank lines. Click on a blank line. This takes you to Model Select type screen where you can select heli, acro or glider.

Selecting Acro takes you to new model name screen, aileron type, flaps etc etc where you can enter relevant details. No deletion message displayed and I can now see two models set up.

I still dont understand why the Model Type Select would be used though if it deletes everything!

Oh well, just have to bind my 2nd rx now!

I've just downloaded the manual. From what I can see, you need to go to the System List screen. (page11) Unfortunately, the manual doesn't seem to mention how you get there.....

If you can find your way to that, highlight 'Model Sel' and click the dial. That should bring up the screen shown on page 52. That will show your Trex at present. You will need to go to the right hand screen shown on the page and select a blank line as mentioned below:.

Setting Method
For safety reasons, a screen that initially stops the issuing of the radio waves will be displayed,
so select “YES” to change the screen to this function screen.
Next, the current Model No. and Model Name will be displayed, so select the item and press the
dial. Then match the model that you wish to switch to and press the dial to select it. When creating
a new model, selecting the “----” part will start up the Setting Navigation to allow new
model creation to be carried out.

Unfortunately, it's about as clear as mud, so we really need an XG8 user to pipe up soon!teeth 2

.....and I thought the Spekky manuals could be better..........smile

Pete

Thanks for your help, Pete. You did put me on the right track with the Model Select screen.

I know what you mean about the manuals. I appreciate users dont want a huge manual to wade through but you'd think the manufacturers could at least use decent English and use a bit of logic!

As I'll be using this radio as my main, if I come across any tips (ho, ho!) I'll try and post them here from time to time.

The XG 8 is a very good, well balanced radio imo. Some of the functions are intuitive and others, well.....

• 5 months later...