Range problem with OrangeRX 710?

SkippyUK

I bought 3 off OrangeRX R710's with the new longer aerial for use with my new Storch as well as a large depron experiment.

Now find that I have issues with poor range testing on all three R710's (without satellite) when using the DX8 but no issues with an old DX6i (DSM2 only).

Using a satellite unit improves the range test way past 30 paces but is still lower on the DX8 than the DX6i

I am currently going through all my other planes which use genuine Spektrum, OrangeRX and clone receivers to see if it's;-

1. an issue with the DX8 rf module as found by others

2. a consequence of updating to Airware 3 if other Orange rx's now don't work as well but non-orange ones do - - I've never had any change in range testing before now but who knows what new software can do?.

3. if the R710's are just not good with DX8's but are fine with DX6i's and possibly others.

I'll report back when I have any further concrete evidence but has anybody else found problems with R710's or is it just me?.

Skippy

Advert

UPDATE:

As I fly on the beach and land on wet sand I tend to range check quite frequently as the salt stops things from working which is cured with a good dosing of electronics cleaner spray

Well the tide was out this morning so I've tested the following on both DX6i and DX8;-
4 off DSM2 AR6100E Compatible 6Ch rx's from GC or RB - all OK
5 off OrangeRX 6 ch bought from GC or RB (old style without wavey case) - all OK
2 off OrangeRX R610's from HK with wavey case - both OK
2 of the 3 R710's - all OK in a Xite wing.

The 3rd R710 is still in the Storch (unflown) and is still exhibiting low range the same as the other 2 when first tested so this points to the Storch installation as being the problem and NOT the DX8.

So to the Storch;
I've discounted anything to do with Fus as I've had the rx hanging out the side with the long antenna in all sorts of orientations both on the ground and about 1 metre off the ground.
Another thing that struck me during all this testing is the beeps from the Storch ESC sometimes pause during boot up and take several seconds to complete the final 'online' beep.

I've now tried a genuine Spektrum with satallite and it binds OK but starts flashing 'brown-out' when I waggle all the sticks at the same time so this to me points to a bad BEC not being able to handle 7 servos even though the Storch comes with all servos and the ESC pre-fitted.

I've then tested with only the ESC attached to the RX and it all seems OK.

I've another 40 Amp ESC so I'll try that as well as testing the current draw of each servo incase it's a bad servo {I've already checked there's no binding or bottoming on the flaps} but this will have to wait for another day.

So in conclusion the DX8 and R710's do seem to be compatible and, in contradiction to some other posts, an R710 will bind with a DX6i although I don't know what happens to the 7th channel.

Skippy

Hi Chris

I'm thinking along the same lines and just might be unwittingly involved in HK's testing regime for a new plane............

Maybe should have waited a while before I bought the Storch but I wanted a German warbird to fly along with the Spit and SE5a.

If the 40A ESC with 3A switch mode BEC doesn't dip on load then I'll go with that else, as you say, a separate UBEC but that'll be another week or so before she flies sad.

Funny the DX6i seems to have better range than the DX8 but maybe not exiting the 7th channel may be the difference in this case.

Skippy

Thanks Speedster, confirms my suspicions about ESC not providing enough power.

How it manifested itself was strange though but hopefully someone else will benifit from my experiences.

Do you use a satellite?

Skippy

Edited By SkippyUK on 04/07/2013 16:25:44

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by SkippyUK on 03/07/2013 23:38:07:

I bought 3 off OrangeRX R710's with the new longer aerial for use with my new Storch as well as a large depron experiment.

Now find that I have issues with poor range testing on all three R710's (without satellite) when using the DX8 but no issues with an old DX6i (DSM2 only).

Using a satellite unit improves the range test way past 30 paces but is still lower on the DX8 than the DX6i

I am currently going through all my other planes which use genuine Spektrum, OrangeRX and clone receivers to see if it's;-

1. an issue with the DX8 rf module as found by others

2. a consequence of updating to Airware 3 if other Orange rx's now don't work as well but non-orange ones do - - I've never had any change in range testing before now but who knows what new software can do?.

3. if the R710's are just not good with DX8's but are fine with DX6i's and possibly others.

I'll report back when I have any further concrete evidence but has anybody else found problems with R710's or is it just me?.

Skippy

It's not you, my R710 worked fine with my Dx6i but rubbish range with my new Dx7s.

Tony

2nd update.........

went through all 6 servos individually and found one (left aileron) had a loose wire in the plug which was either shorting or intermittent contact.

changed servo and it's all fine now and i haven't had to use a ubec i bought just in case.

Storch flies well and flaps are great but being a light plane with slats and bags of lift, it is really dragged around by cross winds take-off and really needs to take off straight into wind.

Without opening old threads, i found during all this testing that the best range (over 50% better) was with the antenna vertical at 90 degrees to the plane so i now fly withe antenna bent at 90 degrees and as i tend to follow the model with my body, it's always in the signal doughnut - i used to have it bent 90 degrees to the left (same as it is in case) but this sends half the doughnut down to earth.

Skippy

ian, the actual antenna is bent 90 degrees at the hinge so with the way i hold the tx, the bent top section is pointing at my head and not 90 degrees to the ground - hope this makes sense....

the weakest points for signal reception is therefore behind my head or on the floor in front of me with the percived signal doughnut angled towards the plane so it gets max strength.

i do a bit of 3d type flying with foamies and tend to arch backwards when the plane is nearly above me so the doughnut is raised as well - just the way i fly as i don't like bending my neck upwards.......

Edited By SkippyUK on 17/07/2013 23:12:31

I had this problem, I had the orange recievers with short antennas, Lost link with them, Purchased orange with the long antennas, Lost link again, Sent my spektrum dx7s for a check and it had a fault. Thanks to my mate rich elliote who uses orange rx's in everthing told me to send it off and get it checked. Glad i did, problem solved.