Four Take Off's....... And Three Planned landings

Bob Archbold

Well, at 5.15am this morning in the most stunning of weather conditions I made my first RC flight in over 40 years and it was amazing the plane took off and flew majestically it was fanatstic in every way as was the first landing PERFECT....

Well, it would have been more perfect had I not had a panic attack, lost control and crashed out of sight on flight number 2....

That sinking, sickening feeling replaced elation, but a 100 metre sprint to a spot behind some elderberry bushes met with the amazing sight of my Hobbyzone Sportsman sitting squarely on all three legs with no damage other than a slightly bent nose wheel and the wing out of alignment by some 6mm if that.... phew.

Back to the take off spot, a couple of judicious tweeks to the nose wheel and a slight twist of the wing and we were off again. the plane is just amazing and at £125 (yes, the supplier cocked up big time - RRP £195) it is an absolute steal! If you turn back the clocks !nd were told that you could have a model, radio and motor for that price you would never believe it.

I can't praise Hobbyzone enough for creating such a fantastic product. If I had to make any criticisms then that nose wheel would have to be number one it just needs beefing up a bit and at number two would be the factory setting up of the linkages which were a million miles out.... but easily rectified, it's just that a complete novice would have been in a pile of trouble.

So with four near perfect flights under my belt it is going to be a long day at work until I can get back to Barnard Castle airfield tonight.....

bye for now

Advert

Is that the 'Glassair Sportsman' with the Virtual Instructor?...they a very good in my opinion, as like you my ability to get in the air is generaly difficult with often months and this time just over a year between flights. I have a hanger with ten air frames in it at various stages of construction!...the good news?...I have recently moved and have a very large community ground just behind my house, and after discussion with the powers that be there I can fly electric there with thier blessing!...so I bougt the same plane as you ( I think!) and it has enabled me to blow away the rust without haveing to find an Instructor for a brush up lesson!. Where I lived before this was never a problem but having moved to a new village I don't know where the clubs are yet, when I do I will be joining, but until then....

Yes Michael, it is indeed the Glasair Sportsmen with the virtual instructor, amazing piece of kit it is so stable although it would be nice to get the nose down on low rates.

I don't think that there could be an easier to fly trainer in the world! high rates tonight I think...

I have to say that i have spent a lot of time using the Pheonix 4 simulator and anyone who doesn't 'learn' on one of these first is missing out on a great opportunity, it is almost like the real thing but cheaper...

Have you tried contacting Horizon Hobby to see if you can get a replacement?

I've looked on their web site and there are loads of different adapters but no USB cable...

As regards the 'Sportsman' I don't think that anybody could say a bad word about it, it is so stable and looks great in the air! I understand that anything above a gentle breeze can be a problem for it though... Have you any strong views?

Off to work now but will look for your comments later.

Hi Bob, different flight sim and cable! As for the breeze, ...for an experienced flyer I don't think its a problem, but for a real novice anything above 7-8mph may be a little disconcerting, but not impossable!

Just for fun I fly my 'Baby Boomerang' in a breeze and although it's all over the place its still possible!...I do like sustained inverted with it !