MIA BBW Flies Again 2013

Another favorite model of mine. The MIA BBW (Bensen, Brock, Wallis)
flies again after being in storage for many years. I also redid the blades on this one on a CNC machine with very similar airfoil to the MIA MPG X1. But wider chord and longer,obviously because this model is larger and heavier. Originally, this model had blades that were done using balsa Airplane Aileron stock and spruce leading edge, hand sanded to a Clark Y airfoil. I also tried a modified architectural baseboard profile but had to drill lightening holes to achieve a more balanced CG on the blade, both work fine, but what a big difference when blades are done with CNC equipment as this maximizes efficiency. I am in the process of creating a manufacturing tool for making these and the MIA MPG-X1 blades. I get frustrated not finding what I want and I hate working hard, sanding by hand is a pain, and I am sure anyone who has done this can appreciate the labor of love that is involved in doing this for oneself, but it be a lot sweeter having the blades done to ones specs! quickly and perfectly.

Unfortunately, my son is no longer a young kid that I can ask to video tape the models for me with the better camera, anytime,  so I carry the keychain version, quick and dirty and it works great in daytime but the video starts loosing quality as night falls, so I gotta hurry many times. Regardless, I wanted to get some video of this model and I think the video shows the main idea and how well this model flies. I wish I could say the same for everyday that I fly rc autogyros as some are really dissapointing, but when the the time is right and the model is setup properly, oh what a sweet spot that is!. Giving up is far too easy. Autogyros are not for everyone but for those that are willing to be patient and take it a step at a time. Are you one of us?  

Edited By Mario I. Arguello on 10/07/2013 07:16:49

Edited By Mario I. Arguello on 10/07/2013 07:23:29

Edited By Mario I. Arguello on 10/07/2013 07:24:51

Advert

Some new flights of today with the MIA BBW. The original MIA Profile Pilot got dirty and ruined while in storage, and the original yellow tail surfaces got messed up in a couple crashes. The model has gone through a bit of a facelift Red blades and white tail surfaces and in the next flight it will sport the MIA Pilot again. Everyting else is intact. I am building another BBW RC Autogyro in similar fasshion I designed the MIA MIni RC Robo Trike microlight. Those who have bought this kit, and there is at least a couple dozen people, as of this date so far,  in the UK, who have the MIA Mini RC Robo Trke, will problably appreciate the build in the next version MIA BBW RC autogyro.

About the MIA BBW RC Autogyro Design

First of all,  as many are probaly aware, I favor an open cockpit aircraft,  thus the reason I elect to build most of my models and kits as "ultralights" I did the same with all the MIA RC Microlights,Trikes as well as some Large Ultralight Helicopterts.  I guess this has a bit to do, on a subconcious level, how one feels when one flies a real open frame aircraft, there is a feel of real freedon more than an enclosed aircraft. Like a bird.  

I designed this model, as I do most of the stuff I do, with  considerable thought in making it extremely crashproof, but lightweight, a balancing act one must painstaking endure while designing and testing models. By using composites and reinforcing stategically as needed. The model uses my own ways of attaching LG and Sterable parts. The rear LG is in place strategically bolted for crash load distribution and made from music wire of the correct diameter for proper suspension and rigidity. My front stearable wheel design is of a non-standard RC model stererable nose wheel way, becase I tried all the typical ways and none were holding up to the abuse while I was learning to fly RC autogyros and in the typical crash that sneaks up once in while, even when you get good at flying these models.  The Rotor head Gimbal is also my own way of doing it,  there are so  many ways to do an RC Autogyro gimbal , and nowadays you cna purchase a whole rotor head setup from HK really cheap and make things easy for the new RC autogyro builder, but I still prefer to use m y own, something do do with I trust what I design more than something that is done for mass production especially if the cost is really attractive. BTW, I do have the complete rotor head gimbal that HK sell and is part of the Cierva C30 model, but found a bit too much slop in the bearings, otherwise it is a nice set up for a quick build I you are not particular about it as I am.

The Motro bracket is also something I came up with while I wasn't sure how  this model would turn up and so that I could make eay adjustments at the field, if I had too, and I did while tweaking it. THe ways I made the fins is also unique in the send that I don;t use balsa and I do something a littel bit differnt with the foam parts whcih I will show later on in a build clinic aon how I make these things including the MIA Foamboards Blades.

The particular mast angle on this model was selected as a result of the way the pilot sits back on the original photo of Ken Brock on his KB3 autogyro anthe MIA Pilot which is based on this photo, so I had to adjust the mast to suit the way I wanted the pilot to look in flight. I know tyhis is a bit unorthodox way of setting the mast angle but I had also considered making the Gimbal bracket afkustable so that I could also dial in a set angle at the field. Although one can do this with a transmitter trims and limits settings I wanted a mechanical way so that I can set it and learn the effect of eacch angle graduation, so this model also has a protractor like gimbal bracket. I studies real autogyro gimbal arrangements and this one use a very similar design to the origina KB3 autogyro done in wood and reinforced with glass biber. Its hold up all this time through a lot of abuse!.  But the next one I am designing will use some aluminum mahined parts, because I think it will look nicer in metal.  

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 15/07/2013 09:05:02

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 15/07/2013 09:45:36

The icon and his machine photo that bit me hard and got me thinking rc model Bensen type autogyros, at about the same time Jim Baxter was publishing about rotor head designs using the "Flex Plate" idea using a piece of plastic for flapping, however DC Pusher Gyros were still a mystery. This in itself is an interesting topic and goes even furhter before Jim Baxter, if I have time I will start another thread and talk about this and some key parts that make up the success of an RC autogyrto have long existed for other types of rotory model aircraft.

mia rc autogyro history-600.jpg

and the actual rc autogyro model I built from this photo and article, a long time ago. Here sitting next to also a miniature electric version of a GMP Rebel helicopter I was fortunate to own, still do. Great vintage fixed Pitch model fuel RC heli from Robert Gorman of Gorham Model Products which I redesigned to miniaturize further for electric flight. Has my own swashplate, nechanics, rotor head, blades and electric setup, but the physical appearance is very much like the original Rebel, including the canopy, and LG only becasue I loved this model so much, besides the Cricket if anyone remembers these.

I did not want to ruin this rc autogyro model when I build it, it has lightweight, in scale square alu tubing I got at some surplus store,as remnants,  a long time ago, and was perfect for the scale, I cannot find the same tubing unfortunately, but it also has machined parts I designed painstakingly looking at the photo and sizing things accordingly. So I kept this model intact all these years. Now that I can sort of fly rc autogyros , I am itching to put a rotor head on it, some blades and "see what it do!" Note the wheels on this model are also sort of vintage, I cannot find the same ones and I loved these wheels because they were perfect width. Nice and beefy nylon molded insert not cheap ABS as most rc model plastic-foam wheels of today are. I got some alu hub ones that I will install also when I get some few fligfhts on it.

After all this was done, It was easier to build the BBW and much more crashproof for a newbie. mia mini rebel heli - mia kb autogyro.jpg

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 15/07/2013 10:38:10

I wish this field had a lot more runway and more space to fly. Makes takeoffs tricky with the larger RC autogyros. The wind almost always blows diagonally, which forces short take offs from the basketball court. Thus gunning the trottle to miss the basketball posts and nets is a thing for skilled hands or the brave .

Most of the videos on You Tube of others flying RC Autogyros are in larger fields with plenty unobstructed room for smooth take offs.

The fact that RC autogyros, especially pushers are not easy to fly, throw on top of this a challenging area to take off , fly and land, says something about the model and the skill level required. Practice makes perfect if the heart is there.

I just realized that my designs are tested in more rigorous flying fields than probably every RC autogyro out there. So in a more spacious area, it should be a piece of cake!.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 19/07/2013 05:48:37

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 19/07/2013 05:50:11

• 6 months later...

A piece of cake in a bigger field!

This is an update for those that care to read for fun interest or whatever. I'll try to keep it fun.
This model is not for sale nor it is meant to drive people to my site. Especially It is not meant either to compete with other RC autogyro designers, as I think each one brings their own to the table. I just hope that some of the more seasoned designers allow other designers to post their stuff without being intimidated that a new design or older but made better, is going to rob their viewer attention.

This is just my way of showing my models which I think are pretty cool! and that is enough for me.

Granted the RC model autogyro that I am showing is based on real Bensen architecture, it encompasses a lot of creative means to make the model what it is today, believe me this model has gone through a lot of crashes but had I built it using traditional balsa and film methods it would not have survided the first test flight crash. But then again the true Bensen Autogyro is an open frame design to begin with and it is its simplicity that has made popular many of todays real as well as model autogyro designs.

The MIA BBW model started in 2009, as a humble interpretation of the Bensen Gyro with only a profile balsa pilot and because I was involved with other commitments at the time, I was not able to dedicate complete 100% of my time with it. Had I had the time to do so, I would have shown all these recent videos back in 2009. Just so happens that I been blessed recently with a little time and some great weather here in AZ USA that I decided not to waste it and show what this model really could and can do with a little more emphasis on a more realistic look, and a larger area to play in. The model is the same and it has not gone any other facelift other than the decorative parts, a more heavier pilot (borrowed from the MIA EX 2.0 Trike). Same old blades, but I did do another set to help with the added weight of the heavier pilot and a bigger battery. This model flew great open frame with profile pilot back in 2009 with a 3S 1000mah li-pol and flies superbly today with full cowling, pilot figure on 3S 2200mah. The brand of the motor I don't really remember its spec but it is a hell of nice motor, super lightweight yet extremlye powerful, I purchased for it back then after failing to pull the model well with a less powerful motor in its first trial flight around 2009. This is all documented in al the MIA BBW videos.

This flight was at a local RC field, weather perfect, and the field had a few members flying so it was ideal with plenty air space and great visibility.

A couple other recent videos with the old profile pilot and with the full pilot and cowling.

This area is not takeoff-landing ideal as it is very rough, but it is 5 minutes away from my house and it balances out with unobstructed air space to try almost anything.

Takeoffs with this model even in this rough terrain are another piece of cake!

No pre-rotator or fancy stabilizer electronics employed.

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 18/02/2014 05:42:48

Edited By MIA Micro-FLIGHT (Mario I. Arguello) on 18/02/2014 05:44:08