E Flite Notice

PB

I bought the E Flite J3 Piper Cub. This nice little high wing trainer went together well in a few hours and it flies as nicely as expected with a 35-48 motor, Turnigy 3s 3000 Lipo, 40A ESC, 12 x 6 prop and Orange Rx.

However, I was surprised to find this loose-leaf notice in the intruction book and I just wonder if there's anything in what it's saying or whethe it's E Flight trying to sell me their receiver battery pack and switch. I'm flying all my EP models using the ESC BEC and I haven't had any trouble with any of them. So what are E flite up to here?

e flite notice.jpg

Advert

They're being very reasonable. When that model came out, most ESCs only had a 1.5A or 2A BEC. As they say, small 7.5g servos were ok with that but the 'mighty mini' size servos used in models like yours are bigger and draw more current. The BEC that they recommend is not their own. Their later ESCs have more powerful BECs so you're unlikely to see warnings like that with the newer models.