Electric Tucano - not mass build

Trevor Crook

I decided to join in the general Tucano interest by providing details of my latest build. I picked up a 55" Chitern Models kit (from the 80s) at a club auction for £15 a couple of years ago. After a protracted build, it was finished earlier this year. Enthusiasm during the build ebbed and flowed as I feared it would be a vicious tip-staller with those tapered wings. For that reason, I didn't try to install retracts.

It came out at exactly 5lb, with a 4s 3000mAh power setup giving just over 500W via a 12x7 prop.

It was maidened with about 20 degrees of flap for take off, and flew off fine, with very little trim needed. Flaps up, it tracks accurately and responds smoothly and crisply to controls. Best of all, although it will drop a wing if provoked, it's predictable - it doesn't snap out of loops, turns etc. It is fairly nose-heavy, which helps - I won't be changing that! Power isn't quite enough for sustained vertical, but big loops are possible.

The flaps give about 80 degrees for landing, which gives a good descent rate with the nose down and a bit of power on, without speed building, so avoids the hazards of having to raise the nose to slow it - just a heave of up to flare it.

Chuffed to bits with the model. Here are some pics:tucano 001.jpgtucano 002.jpgtucano 003.jpgtucano 004.jpg

Advert

Martyn, I must admit that when it's in the air, yes I do wish the wheels tucked away. However, with my modest skills I found some aspects of the build challenging enough! Making a bay for the noseleg is one problem, as it would go where I've housed the ESC and steering servo.

If I'd known how well it was going to fly, I would probably have put in the effort. As it is, I'll try to look at it as a nice flying sport model that happens to look like a Tucano!