First EDF tutorial / instructions needed

J Myers III

Hi all
I'm in need of help as I have put my self out of my comfort zone of PNF/RTF and got myself a kit in which I need to put an EDF together. I am looking for a tutorial of some sort that will guide me through what I need and what I need to do.
The only thing that I have found is this: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg3910-3911-manual.pdf
but I find it to be a bit vague.
If you could provide me with useful material it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Advert

I've flown a fair number of EDFs, 70 and 90mm from foam to full composite F-100. Current enjoying a HABU 2, which i bought as airframe only and added my own electrics, Multiplex twister (slow, but a good 1st flight intro on a morning) and just building my 5 1/2 foot F-100 on a 90mm.

There are many more on here with far more knowledge, if you let us know what yur plan is and how you want it set up, we can help you/guide you through. Happy to help.

Okay, the motor from a Jetiger is going into a T-45. The T-45 comes with the shroud pre-installed. The motor fits perfectly into the shroud, ready to be screwed in. Now, the shaft adaptor for the motors shaft isn't long enough, but that can wait, let's say I have the correct one and I'm ready to put everything together, what do I do? Do I put the impellor on and put a nut on the exposed on the exposed part of the adaptor? I know that is most likely wrong but that's the kind of information I need.

If I could get an exploded view of an edf like this (but with the parts) that would be perfect! **LINK**

Thanks!

Firstly mount your motor inside the EDF shroud, remember to use a bit of locktite on the screws.

Next you should find the threaded adaptor that slides over your motor shaft and then is held in place by compression, once the fan is installed and the bolt tightened up.

Normally the threaded part of the shaft also has an internal thread, usually about 2mm. the domed 'spinner' is then fitted onto the fan and held in place with a small bolt passing through the dome and threading into this internal thread on the adaptor shaft.

This link shows you what i mean, albeit not your fan unit and uses a locking grub screw rather than compression, but principle is exactly the same. Does this help?

Posted by Reno Racer on 01/08/2013 19:29:55:

Firstly mount your motor inside the EDF shroud, remember to use a bit of locktite on the screws.

Next you should find the threaded adaptor that slides over your motor shaft and then is held in place by compression, once the fan is installed and the bolt tightened up.

Normally the threaded part of the shaft also has an internal thread, usually about 2mm. the domed 'spinner' is then fitted onto the fan and held in place with a small bolt passing through the dome and threading into this internal thread on the adaptor shaft.

This link shows you what i mean, albeit not your fan unit and uses a locking grub screw rather than compression, but principle is exactly the same. Does this help?

Thank you! This type of tutorial I need! (your text tutorial, I have read through the one in the link numerous times but it doesn't help due to reasons which will be highlighted in this post) Unfortunately I will need you to come up with something a little like that again (sorry!). Here's why: the spinner and the fan is all one thing, with a hole going through, exactly like this: **LINK** Now, lets say the shaft passes through the hole in that, what do I do? Because there isn't a hold in the shaft adaptor for a bolt, so would I have to put a nut on?