Hobbyking Wing Wing Z84

I saw the Wing WIng when I was ordering some bits and bobs off the UK Hobbyking site, at just over 20 quid for the airframe I couldnt resist. The package arrived, on openning I found what looked like a well designed EPO kit, consisting of 2 wing halves, a centre pod, canopy, spar and two fins. The moulding seems high quality with a smooth almost glossy surface, unlike other EPO models. It is only 845mm span and designed to have a brushless up its tail pipe driving a pusher prop. As I am building it as a sloper I will not be fitting this, I might at a later date shape a tail cone to smooth out the aerodynamics. It went together in less than an hour, I am now waiting for a good time to bung it. I am hoping this might be a good foamy alternative for the kids at school, it looks right so will hopefully fly OK.

wingwing-6.jpg

Advert

Maiden Flight

With a NW wind and clear skies I headed to Mynydd Pysgodlyn for a test flight of the Wing WIng Z84. The wind was quite blustery and Iknew with this slope it can be quite bumpy close in due to upwind terrain, not idealfor a small model when you want to keep it in close for photos. Chucked it off, no surprises just a few clicks of up trim. C of G was set as per instructions but should probably be 5mm further back. She tracked well up and down the ridge gaining height in the bumpy conditions. Once at a good height I tried the stall nothing dodgy here. Roll rate is quite good though not as good as a Weasel EVO. Loops very well both small and bug radii. Inverted flight was nice and stable with only a tiny bit of down required for level flight. In summary I am very pleased for around £20. I look forward to try it out in the smooth coastal lift of either the Gower or the Orme. I took some video whilst flying I will post a link once its downloaded.