Phoenix 4 & E-Flite Apprentice 15e

Bigmac

Hi,

I'm new to the RC flying "club" and looking at getting my first plane. I have bought and am using Phoenix 4 to get me more proficient before taking the plunge with a real model and am enjoying success with a number of different models in Phoenix. As several different planes are recommended for beginners, I have been trying them out to see which "feels" the best on the simulator and have come up against a problem with the Apprentice 15e.

When I increase power for take off, the model slews to the left pretty much straight away. I have calibrated and recalibrated the DX5e, but with no difference. Weather is set to "dead calm" so there is no wind coming into play here and I have even set the "physical - model setup" to 0% to make sure there are no "quirks" factored in.

Once in flight, the model seems fine and to my beginners eye seems to fly level with no trimming required.

I am raising this as a question because the Apprentice is very much recommended as a beginners plane and it would seem strange to expect a beginner to have to compensate for a wild swing to the left on takeoff.

Has anyone else experienced this with this model?

Thanks.

Advert

Now that is interesting! You see most real models will swing to the left on take off - but most of the models in Phoenix don't! Which has always been one of my criticisms of the simulator.

Real models swing to the left because of the torque reaction to the direction of rotation of the prop. Tail draggers are more prone to this effect - hence why most trainers have a tricycle undercarriage. But in general - unless you mess about with the torque settings in the model set up - Phoenix's models don't reproduce this effect. Except for this one! Curious.

I've just had a go with it and in my view its too strong a swing for the average nose wheel equiped trainer. But it actually feels quite like a typical taildragger! Quite realistic actually.

The secret to dealing with this is to learn to add right rudder to counteract the swing and don't "snap" the throttle open - be a bit more gentle - just like you need to be with the real model. Don't use too much correcting rudder or it'll just swing the other way. The best way is to do it in "dabs" I find - bringing it straight with each dab and then repeating if you need to. It can be done on the simulation - I've just done it and as I say it actually feels more realistic on take off than most of the other models!

BEB

PS Remember to let go of the rudder as you become airborne or due to the dihedral you'll bank right otherwise!

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/09/2013 23:12:29

Ah!! Everyday I'm learning something new!

Had not come across info about this effect in any beginners guides I've been reading, but makes perfect sense.

Highlights even more, the reason for me to join a club, where I'm sure this would have been explained to me.

I had already been making the correction as you suggested as that was what seemed intuitive to me, but thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

No problem - its why we're here.

As an instructor I've had a number of folks using Phoenix - they are always surprised when they come to do a take off for the first time themsleves - because they have never really come across this before!

Don't get me wrong - generally Phoenix is very good - and a sound way to get some practice in. "In the air" most of the models feel quite relaistic really - except for the WOT4 - which feels nothing like a real kit build WOT4 like I remember them - far to docile!

BEB