Phil's Barnstormer

Phil Winks

Advert

to be fair Colin my next build was to be the Dawn flyer but I've been way laid by a one ounce sopwith tabloid plan so now really in two minds as to what comes next and thats without considering the 45" chris goulds designed 48" HP 42 heracles a 56" 0-four9ier a 40" boeing nearman (no typo there) a dh02 and a 32" sopwith camel all plans sat in my todo file and mostly with all the materials waiting for me to make a start, also theres the can doo and most of the recent free plans too

But mostly they will be waiting for next winter or the summer storms as I need to be flying every spare moment I can muster now and when I can't then reading the relevant parts of the ANO, cap 658 and the relevant parts of the BMFA handbook, guess where this is going, (no prizes)

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/04/2014 21:05:15:

Congrats on the maiden Phil, it sounds a nice relaxing model to fly. That Boddo bloke knew a thing or two didn't he? thumbs up

Photo's soon?

Absolutely he did Chris and yes hopefully by the end of Fri weather permitting, which it looks like it might

Hi Phil.

I'm about to sort the electrics on mine and I'm going for your idea of the deadman plug.

I've got Turnigy battery and ESC. Silly question, but as the battery came with sheathed bullet connectors and the ESC with tinned wires I thought I'd go XT60 for the DM to ESC connector and plug with sheathed bullets to the battery. Have I missed any reason why I shouldn't?

Posted by Nigel Day on 17/04/2014 12:12:23:

Hi Phil.

I'm about to sort the electrics on mine and I'm going for your idea of the deadman plug.

I've got Turnigy battery and ESC. Silly question, but as the battery came with sheathed bullet connectors and the ESC with tinned wires I thought I'd go XT60 for the DM to ESC connector and plug with sheathed bullets to the battery. Have I missed any reason why I shouldn't?

There's no reason you shouldn't Nigel though I've gone xt60 for the bty to esc connection in fact all my models use them now the only time I would upgrade is if I need more than 60A then it would be the xt90 or for mega power 5.5mm hxt (140A) really the choice is yours provided the connector is capable of handling the max expected current the only reason I standardise is to make life simpler and reduce the number of adaptors needed for my charger

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Phil Winks on 11/05/2014 14:57:17:

Didn't feel they were necessary mate the tail feathers are pretty sturdy as they are, with the fin set into the horizontal stabiliser between the centre two ribs.

Thanks Phil, I haven't fitted them but am just doubting my decision!

you'll find things are fine with out them mate though if when you fly her, you think the rudder response is not all it should be then add them as a mushy rudder can be due to a distorting tail fin when rudder is applied, mine has loads of authority with out so I'm happy I left them of

Posted by jolliffee on 11/05/2014 15:20:27:

OKLY DOKLY Phil smiley

Thanks for the tip, should be a couple of weeks before the maiden - weather dependent!

No problem you'll find she's very tolerant of wind, well mine is but then at 5.3lbs she is the heaviest one I have at present so maybe thats why, mine, despite her weight, flys well on 430w thats approx 78/80w/lb but that is with a superbly efficient beech wood prop

I am using a wood prop too but I may be a little heavier due to my battery choice but it does seem very light at the moment. I'm about to start rigging up the electrics but need good weather since I need to work outside on this one plus trying to get the stick time for my A cert!.

I'll post my info when I get it since it'll be interesting to compare results.

• 1 month later...

Well despite my absence from greenacres I got my 3rd, 4th & 5th flight of the BS in on Sunday evening a total of approx 18 minutes flying on 2 batteries one has 30% left in and the second having flown for 6 minutes has 52% left, both are 3300Mah 3s1p 30C gens ace LiPo's yes my flying style is slow and gentle but I still reckon thats pretty dam good, The flights were all very relaxing apart from the 1st take of as I'd taken a club mates advice and increased the aileron throws by 50% and I nearly got caught out by the extra sensitivity, once I had my head round it she went back to being a superbly stable Sunday afternoon flyer.

I also have the flaps trimmed out to max effect and take of's are are short but scale like with the tail coming up nicely before rotating and landings are so nice though once down some up elevator is needed to plant the tail on the ground or the roll out can be quite extensive, but beautiful too, touch and goes should be impressive.

I was flying alongside an Eflite carbon cub, (the big one) and to be fair it seems to be more stable at lower speeds and nearly as agile at 3/4 throttle.

Definitely a keeper and a real candidate for all the "A" test takers out there

Good to hear your Barnstomer is going well, I've also missed Greenacres but hopefully next year!

My Barnstormer has stalled due entirely to the great weather an ne taking all the opportunity to get stick time so as to get get my A. I like the fact you have found it a stable flyer - Imus get mine into the air!

Good to hear your Barnstomer is going well, I've also missed Greenacres but hopefully next year!

My Barnstormer completionhas stalled due entirely to the great weather and me taking all the opportunity to get as much possible stick in time so as to get get my A. I like the fact you have found it a stable flyer - I must get mine into the air!

Edited By jolliffee on 24/06/2014 22:09:06