Bootlegger

Terence Moore

Question for the engine experts:-

I can comfartably fit a Kavan 14oz tank, and insulate, or squeez in a Dubro 16oz. but with hardly any foam packinf.

with the K&B 100 r/e propped for 9k (or thereabouts) on a fixed length pipe....... will 14oz. give a reasonable flight time ( I don't fly at constant full throttle)

Thanks in anticipation

Reference endurance Terry:

For comparison, my ST .61 on a pipe, doing 14K, uses approx 2oz per minute at full throttle. IIRC, the DB 60 has a 12 oz tank, good for about 7-8mins of spirited flying.

I'd say 14 oz might be a bit tight, but maybe best to ask Terry W.........................or limit yourself to 6 mins initially, until you establish actual usage for your style.

Brgds

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

The previous photo showed the 1/8" strips glued in over the servo lead cut outs, as supplied by Steve. The dihedral brace strip, is forward of the wheel wells, at the deepest part of the wing. Draw strings for retracts and aileron servo's are positioned.

Now ready for glassing the centre section, but will wait untill tailplane similarly set up, to avoid mixing 2 lots.

Also gives time for repeated checking of alignments.

Martyn,

I can also only get about 45-50 degrees of down flap. However in a similar configuration on my Revenger, this was sufficient to produce a marked reduction in approach speed, as well as a steeper angle .

One drawback of the torque rods is the "interference" between flap pushrods and rear wing holding down bolts.

My next posting should show this, and how I resorted to a single (larger than normal diameter) plastic bolt, with thicker plate for the spike nut.

Fortunately the Bootlegger fuselage is quite deep, so the servo's don't clash, just the pushrods & horns to the flaps.

Makes you wonder how they squeeded in the older larger sized analogue servo's etc in the 1960's & 70's.

Ah well, the joys of building it yourself.

ARTFers don't know what they are missing!!!!

Next comes fitting the tailplane to the fuselage, needs to be correctly positioned in all three dimensions, starting with checking the incidence of the wing, which I have set at + 1/2 degree, as per modern F3A models. This is a departure from the plan. We will see how it behaves in flight.

wing incidence + 1/2 degree