Flair Attila

Just bought a Attilla to try me luck at building.I have done a search and many of the Flair kits are here with build ups but nothing for the Atilla.Irealise it is a basic kit so perhaps none was needed.In my case i would like to improve the lack of cockpit opening also to go ic or elec ,if latter a hatch will be needed so again ideas there.Also while looking for abuild blog i see a post on Attila for first flights and the replys warned of stiff UC.what is done to improve that from stock.

Advert

Hi Gary, The Magnatilla was my first ever attempt years ago. The Atilla is a smaller version.I found the plan was most informative and gives loads of info on the build. Good luck  ps, some nice videos of Attilla's flying on U Tube.

Edited By fly boy3 on 05/11/2013 21:52:22

Hi Gary,
The Atilla is a great little model & an excellent first build - good choice.
My old electric model has no hatch & battery access is through wing removal
which isn't ideal but at least there's only one nylon bolt to undo.
The forward fuselage underside behind the bulkhead is a good place for a hatch -
I used this method on a Baronette.
The motor bolts directly onto the bulkhead - easy!

A full cockpit opening would require a fair bit of modification to the wing centre section
but a pilot just stuck in place as in the picture looks fine in the air.
I've had no problems with the soldered wire U/C but some builders use a sprung
arrangement on their scouts - as the Atilla is quite light this isn't really necessary.

I built mine with no ailerons & it flies well on rudder but consider adding ailerons - the
plan has details.Scalloping the TE is a good idea too.

It's a cracking flier - another one with ailerons is on my shortlist for a winter job.

I've had a few of these down the years. Superb little models that fly really well on a .19 2-stroke. My last one had ailerons and an OS 20 4-stroke, which made it sound superb in the air! Alas, I had to deliberately stuff it in when the radio developed an intermittent fault in flight and it was heading for the railway tracks!

I now have another kit, and as soon as our house move is complete and I have my workshop up and running again, it will be one of my first projects!

--

Pete

Hi Gary, the motor is a Scorpion 3008-28 which is rated around max 400W & 1200kV
but I think is no longer available.
The model weighs a fraction over 3lb with a 3S, 3200mAh Lipo & with that motor on
a 10x5 it has 220Watts or so giving 70W/lb.This flies the model in a nice gentle
manner but I think you could do a lot better.
Aim for 100W/lb or around 300- 320Watts or so on an 11" prop for plenty of reserve
power.
The Attila is great for nice gentle aerobatics!

Edited By Richard Wood on 06/11/2013 15:53:29

20-25 years ago I built an Atilla, with a little 15 glow on the front, rudder, elevator and throttle were all I really needed for a sweet handling little plane. The Atillla is a very satisfying conventional build, something to take slowly and enjoy the building and covering for it's own sake. I never felt the need for ailerons on my Atilla, and with such a light airframe it doesn't really matter how stiff or bendy the u/c is anyway.

Cheers Gary.
As Gurth says, the Attila is a very satisfying build. One building tip I would give
concerns the curved, sheeted area on the wing forward centre section.
If I remember correctly the balsa part supplied is 'one-piece' & fits over the two
formers & onto the wing. This can be tricky to trim & fit neatly so I did this with
two balsa parts & a strip along the top edge flush with the top of the two formers.
It was much easier this way.

Here's a link to a good motor & ESC combo:

**LINK**

Edited By Richard Wood on 07/11/2013 07:50:47

• 10 years later...