SIG 1/6 Piper Cub accessories . . .

Ian Laing

Shortly I intend to start on a SIG 1/6 scale Piper Cub kit that I received as a birthday present! Should I build it as the bog standard yellow J3 or the less seen khaki military L4, greenhouse windows included?).

Before I start the build I'm looking around trying to find as many true scale fittings as possible. I found a laser cut kit to build a 1/6 scale Lycoming engine for the Cub and a set of 1/6 scale instruments for the cockpit,.

What I'm missing is 1/6 scale Piper Cub J3 wheels. Carl Goldberg do a range in 1/5. 1/4 and 1/3 but nary do I find 1/6 scale wheels and fittings. In the end I will most likely make up suitable looking wheels myself, but it would be so nice just to flash my plastic and a true scale set would appear! (I need to look at Trexler balloon wheels, they may possibly do the job).

Regards to all,

Ian

Advert

Hello Ian,

I am interested to hear where you got the laser cut engine kit. I made mine by hand, which was laborious. It was worth it as a Cub without an engine looks funny.

What I did with the wheels was to find photos of them on Google, and print the hubs to the right scale. I stuck these to plywood discs and pooled clear epoxy over them. The result is quite pleasing. I did the same for the little aluminium and red Piper logo's on either side of the windscreen.

I used the best fit cheap wheels, as I could not find more accurate ones. The hub caps give them a lift. At least- I am happy with them!

Happy building,

Charles

G'day there Ian

I searched for a long while with colour schemes and found a few black and white images that were interesting and then sent off a few letters to see if real colour images or sketches were a possibility, but months later nought has come back, so ye olde cub yellow of which there are two distinct differences I will stick with.

As for the scale parts have a go yourself. Yes I have failed, and I try again with another idea, that often fails too, but understanding different components and strengths of materials will make us better modellers in the long run.

At the moment I am slowly cutting parts for the dummy engine for my cub, and those parts come from old credit cards or plastic shopping gift cards, so at the moment I have half an engine in plastic parts. any gift cards welcomewink

Seats are from sponge, with fake leather covering from old shoes, but a lot of work is still needed.

the instructions do mention the type and size wheels to use, but I am not at that stage yet.

good luck bbc.

Edited By bouncebouncecrunch on 13/11/2013 04:12:44

The 1/6 scale instruments for the 1/6 scale Piper Cub I ordered from:

www.iflytailies.com/
Scale RC accessories: cockpits, instruments, instrument panels, harnesses, seats, control sticks, pilots, decals, tow release, Aerofly, custom build service.
The 1/6 scale Piper Cub Continental Engine Kit was ordered from:
Top Notch Products Company - [email protected]
Item Number TNPC 2943-16
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ian