New plane for 2014

chris Bond - Bondaero

Advert

I've still got two Webras with that carb Percy, I haven't run them for years but I'm sure they're still ok. Do you remember when they brought out a geared 61? It was a Speed 61 with the rear rotary valve, carb on the back. That was to make room for a straight cut gear box that put the prop driver offset to the crankshaft by 40mm or so? It bolted into the 4 holes in the front of the standard crank-case and replaced the usual front end. You could fit it in any of four positions and meant that you had to mount the motor off-set to line the prop up correctly.

It was geared two to one and would turn a prop 18x6! I fitted it into a Pat French Giant Zlin, but the achilles heel was noise from the straight-cut spur gears. In the end I gave up after a couple of flights and had it fitted with the standard non-geared front. I've never run it aince because I replaced it in the Zlin with a Webra Speed 91, a great motor I've still got and in good nick. That's also got the Dyna-Mix carb. I got a new carb from John D. Haytree a few years ago, after I pranged the Zlin and damaged the carb, but he's dead now and I don't know if anyone else took it on.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 10/11/2013 21:40:00

I vaguely remember that Percy, I wonder if there were any noise issues with that as well. Actually, it's not a bad idea and I'm surprised that more thought hasn't been given to the possibilities.

Thanks for the news about John Haytree's business. He had all of the Fox stuff as well. I've got a Fox Hawk 61 as well that's completely worn out. Could be revived though. I hope that all of his stuff hasn't finished up in a skip somewhere!

Thanks Percy. About 197(6)? I bought a new Fox 40 Schnuerle port. I fitted it inverted into an Ian Peacock Miss Tangerine but could never get it to run at anything less than full throttle, however I set the carburetter. Later in desperation I put it into a Slim Jim the right way up and it ran fine at all throttle settings, although I never tried anything prolonged inverted! Overall, more trouble than it was worth.

To be fair though, the Hawk61 was fine and broadly similar to my HB61 in general running and power output. I don't think though that the overall build quality was brilliant. I've got a Fox 36X that I bought (cheap) about the same time and i've never tried to run it. The plug is angled in the head, not vertical. Is that the one you had as well?

Percy, when I was struggling with the 40 I started to think that the difficulty was because the Yanks probably ran them on something like 30% Nitro as a matter of course. Over here I think that we have generally considered anything over 10% to be over the top for every day use and certainly too expensive. The 36X was bought to replace the 40 in the Miss Tangerine. I fitted it but never tried to run it and the plane is still in the garage loft with the 36X in it! Sounds as if it would have been a dud anyway, but I must have a look at it sometime. That's about 30 years gone, but it's par for the course with me. I've always been a bit slow.