D.B. Sport and Scale Cherokee

Was convinced by Eddie at the LMA Cosford event to get the DB Sport and Scale Cherokee as a winter (maybe several) build project. The kit looked very comprehensive when he showed me the contents and hopefully straightforward to build. Will be going with the electric power option and he assured me that it would be a good solution.

With winter approaching have now given the kit a more detailed inspection and it is very comprehensive and of good quality as their track record would suggest.

First question though is should I fit Flaps or not? Never had a model with them so it could be a useful experience. Does anyone have experience with them on this model?

Advert

If you fancy a go with flaps put them in - it can't really do any harm - and like most aerodynamic "toys" their good to play with! wink 2

Seriously they should allow shorter take offs and slower landings with steeper approaches - what's not to like? Some models present a bit of a trim challenge with flaps but with the comprehensive mixing options available on all modern Tx's that's usually controllable.

BEB

Hey Paul - you'll enjoy building the Cherokee. I got one as a gift from the family the Christmas before last and was really impressed with it.

I went electric too, and also fitted flaps and lighting. The only point I would disagree with on the build is the idea of fitting the servos in foam - they don't feel firm enough for me and I will be cutting them out and fitting normal servo plates.

I must be honest and say that despite nagging from my club and my daughter, it has yet to fly. I was so pleased with the end result I have not yet had the courage to take it up!

There are a few pics in my album that may help.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go with the flaps as I can at least try them and if they don't make much difference then leave them locked. Like the idea of lights, will have to give it some thought around cost, and the extra weight as always concious that I need to build as light as possible (no pun !) when going with electric conversions.

Thanks Colin for the tip about the foam around the servos. When I saw it on the plan I thought it would be something to look at alternatives.

Build has been put on hold for now as I have a refurb job to do on a room which needs a fair amount of plumbing in new facilities etc. Will try and get some photos on when I start.

Thanks for the comments Paul, but it is just Solarfilm and trim strip. The registration letters and insignia are done on the PC then printed on decal paper from Crafty Computer Paper.

The connector strips on the wing lead to the nav beacon on the fin and are from copper tape I used for layout wiring on my model railway. They are mounted on thin foam to act as pressure pads to get good contact.

Another area that worked well is my first use of the Multiplex connectors - by commoning the power leads just one plug takes the place of 4 standard connectors so driving the 5 servos in the wing (2 x ailerons, 2 x flaps, 1 x lights).

• 2 years later...

Well I did say at the start this would be a slow build. Have got to the point with the fuselage were I need to sort out the location and access for the battery. It will need to go as far forward as possible, which puts it into the bay the fuel tank would have been in the original design. However in terms of access there seems to be only two options.

First one is to fit it such that access is by removing the wing every time. This is the easy option with no design modifications etc. Given that I would only fly it once or maybe twice a session this might not be a problem.

Second option is to make the canopy and the deck in front of it removable in total. This would be like the solution used on my ARTF Archer Cherokee. Whilst the design mods are not great and the area does not look to carry much load, it is a lot of fiddling for a solution that might not yield much operational benefit.

Has anyone else built one of these for electric and if so what solution did they use?

Hoping to try and make more progress this winter build period. smiley