Maplin Mini Clamp meter

Advert

Yes you are right Timbo, it is only AC current, no use for electric flight at all.

I bought a DC clampmeter last year after an RAC man used one to find a fault on my car.  I was so impressed that I realised my life would not be complete until I got one!  I got it off Ebay for around 40 quid, a Uni-T one like they stock in Maplin.

I have to say that it is fantastic.  Ignoring the electric flight side for now, it is handy on the car, in my case there was a fault with the heater plugs draining the battery when it was turned off, with the meter clamped around the battery lead it showed when the current was flowing, and how much.  It is also useful for checking the drain on AC appliances at home.

As for electric flight, al you need do is put the clamp around the battery lead and it will show the current flowing, no need for matching connectors, simple.

I would thoroughly recommend a DC one, only one word of warning, keep it away from HT leads on a petrol car, the voltage will blow it!

Sorry Jarius...I have edited your post as putting such a long link on the thread causes the page to become very difficult to read.Can I ask you to use the link facility ( little chain above ) and paste your URL link in there, then please insert a simple word or two in the box marked "link title ". Cheers

Hi Graham,  I have searched for the CEM FC33 in this country and have not found any suppliers. I bought mine new in a sealed bubble pack from a local market stall about 2 years ago. It cost less than £7. It is still listed on the companies Chinese website. There is a Sealey meter with the same specs and housed in an identical case but this costs £60-70. Badge engineering ? Another thing I have noticed is that my FC33s top range is 80Amps and all the others I have seen are 200Amps. Perhaps an obsolete model ?  During my search I came across this :-         DC meter     It has all the right ranges.  Hope this helps.  Jim 

Hi Graham, The meter comes from Hong Kong it`s just that the listing is aimed at the Aussie market. I have bought loads of stuff from Hong Kong / China  and have not had any problems. If you have Paypal it`s easy and safe.   Jim

I'm not sure if it is exactly the same model as mine that I got off Ebay (it's in the car, it's raining and I can't be doing with getting wet to get it!) but I think it is.  Mine was from a HK seller but they distribute from Dublin, user name was e3b6a5y, and I paid £12.60 and £17.99 carriage (not the 40 quid I first thought).  I can recommend it.

Incidentally the one Jim has found is not in Australia, it is also a HK seller, it's just showing the price in $Aus.