30mm EDF

Simon Chaddock

I have recently purchased a tiny 30mm EDF. It is rated at 11A continuous.

To bench test it I set up a 1500mAh 3s and a servo tester but the only ESC I had available was a cheap 40A. It would not drive it, the 10200kV motor just shuddered.

When the same set up was connected to a 55mm EDF with a 4750kV motor it worked fine.

Do these very high kV motors require a special ESC to handle the very high revs involved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Simon

Advert

If the motor is stuttering it sounds like a dodgy connection between the motor and ESC. Are the 3 wires from the motor connected by direct soldering, or 2mm connectors to the ESC? Whatever the case you'll probably need to re-solder the connections on the motor wires as it looks like you may have a dry joint.

That's what I thought so I directly soldered the motor wires to the ESC but it made no difference.

It could of course be a duff motor!

The 55mm fan worked fine with just simple 'choc block' screw terminal connectors!

I have do have a pair of small 7A 2800k outrunners that sometimes are reluctant to start with some ESCs but it is entirely random.

I did wonder if with very small low inertia motors the ESC sometimes fails to establish the correct sequence in time after is gives the initial 'pulse' to start the rotation.

I have a new 20A ESC on order.