Which transmitter?

Dean

Morning all,

where do I start, well to cut a long story short about 6 months ago I decided to quit the hobby due to paying for private speech therapy for my little boy, so sold off most of my modelling gear.

How things can change in six months!!! We now have a lot of help from the NHS plus loads of overtime at work means things are certainly looking up. So I am, after a 6 month break starting up again!!

I have been advised that, due to my future hopes of warbirds and in particular building a large multi engined bomber, I will need more than six channels in the future. Which seems completely logical.

I have looked at the FrSky Taranis my only issue being will I need all the fancy stuff it can do? And do I need a PC to use it/update it, as we don't have one!! We just use an iPad.

Also 2nd hand I have been looking at the Futaba FF9 and after some advice the JR dsx9 which I quite like, any opinions on these?

I want to spent around £150 on the Transmitter so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Dean

Advert

I have a Taranis and an FF9. Having got used to the way you set up a model I find the Taranis easier than the FF9. You don't have to use all the bells and whistles, it is just fine as it comes out of the box. I've not bothered to update the firmware as it works ok for me as is. I don't use S-Bus servos or smartport sensors and I haven't found any issues yet. Receivers are at most £25ish.

The FF9 is also a good unit, I paid around £100 for mine second hand with a LiPo battery fitted, and run an FrSky module in it.

It's easy to configure for dual servos on aileron and elevator, but I found two areas I had a problem with. One was configuring a 4 servo wing electric glider with crow braking, where I ended up putting 'throttle' on a slider as crow takes up the throttle stick. The other was when I ran out of mixes setting up a Chipmunk with retracts and flaps - I was trying to get a switched full camber change across flaps and ailerons along with two position flaps on a three servo wing though.

A PC would be useful for the Taranis, but mainly to access Scott Page's excellent tutorials on YouTube.

Is the taranis realistically an option? I agree it's a great tx but I have been trying for months now to get one but they don't seem to actually exist in the uk. I am on the waiting list to get one but have been told there will be none available until next Feb. What good is a tx if you can't actualy buy one?

Andrew

Having read Andrew's post above, I would stick with something that was easy to get spares for or servicing here in the UK. I have only ever used Spektrum and would wholly recommend their DX7s. A multi engine plane is no issue as it only uses the one channel for all engines/motors.

Granted that there is a lot to read through here, but it is a great feature packed Tx.

**LINK**

Thanks for the replies

Andrew, the Taranis is showing in stock at robotbirds it has a reciever with it for £169 which I didn't think was to bad a price, I have also just rang them to confirm they do actually have them they said yes they do!!

Dean