How Low Should I Go?

Snorbitz

I've had a good read up on the cycling/charging/discharging of NiCads on various threads on here and i'm ok with what i've read so and its all very helpfull and interesting. The one thing that seems to be missing though is how low voltage wise should i set my battery cycler/charger to go before it starts to re-charge again.? In my youth i used to race electric buggies and would just put a 5 watt light bulb on the batt pack until it was completely dead before recharging it, but that was cough-cough 20 years ago now and i know things have changed somewhat in battery technology since then. Any pointers would be a great help. Cheers.

The only reason to flatten a Nicad was to try and loose the memory effect of charging a partially discahrged pack. NiMh dont suffer from this so in theory there is no need to flatten them. That said I make my own packs, and cycle them when new and write on the pack their capacity. I then have a bench mark to check the capacity against, which I do every few months on an add hoc basis. Andy

Ok 1v per cell it is. Just out of curiousity what if any is the potential problem if the cells were to become fully discharged, ie left on by mistake. Does thiis render the NiCad U/S or is it not so much of a problem as long you completely re-cycle them?

Cheers

Nicads can go down to zero volt as long without damage as long as it is done INDIVIDUALLY  for each cell.The pack can then be kept at zero volt for months. To wake it up again, charge at 0.1 C for the first charge (14 hours).NimH are best kept at or near full charge. This is (was) my practice with full success. Now I work with lipos.