scratch built spitfire

pc050099.jpgpc050098.jpg

Always wanted to build a spitfire, but up until now i could never find a decent full fuse plan. Then i came across a spit build on flitetest.com, they used foam board what we call in the u.k poster board. The paper skinned stuff, which i find too fragile. So i decided to make it out of 6mm and 5mm epp, modifying it a bit by adding stiffening braces in the wing internal and external and double skinning the first 2/3rds of the fuze length. The plan called for single skin on wing tips but i doubled it to add stiffness. They also use a swappable power pod, but i double skinned my fuse and installed the electrics in the normal way. Took about a week to build and maidened a few days ago a bit hairy until trimmed but then flew fine. Now she's a proven flier i will get down to adding some detail, canopy, radiator and paint job etc.
The plans are adobe pdf format and i printed them at 92% which gave me wing halves of 500mm when joined giving 1 metre wingspan.
Below are a few pics of the maidened model awaiting paint etc.
p.s strange that there aren't loads of scratch plans for this iconic plane that everybody seems to love?

Original build plan. **LINK**

pc050097.jpg

Advert

Nice Spit you have there fella.

I don't know if you go one RCG, but there's a guy there called Hans Joachim who has built several Depron warbirds, Spitfire, Mustang and an FW190 from depron, around 50" wingspan, and they fly really well. I built the Spitfire using his plans which are all PDF, so they are out there, very simple build too!

Daz

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by foamidable on 27/12/2013 00:06:30:
Well all done now, but U.K weather has stopped play for the forseeable future.
Brian.finished.jpg

yeh, customary 1-3 deg right and down, flew o.k before paint haven,t had the weather to try since. My hd keycam has given up the ghost and that's the only camcorder i had. Not into hand held cams but did like the onboard footage i used to capture with the keycam.

Brian.

Edited By foamidable on 27/12/2013 15:39:07

Edited By foamidable on 27/12/2013 15:43:09

Edited By foamidable on 27/12/2013 15:45:25

• 9 months later...

This is my 2nd build of a spit using freebuild plans from flitetest,com i didnt go for the removable powerpod. I double skinned the whole fuse instead for better srtength and durability and kept all electrics permanently installed. Weight without batt should be 14.9oz, mine came out at 1lb 8.5oz probably because of double skin. Having said that she flies very well, let go of the stick and she stays right on track where you left her. Power is supplied by 2200kv dys motor, 2200mah 3s batt and 30amp esc 7x4 E prop. I used 3x9gm servos as i find i dont use rudder at all (not into knife edge yet). Plane made from 5mm posterboard from Hobbycraft 2xA1 sheets is enough and at £4 a sheet thats cheaper than epp. The folded wing construction is amazingly strong and also gives aerofoil profile, a brilliant design. Have flown 10min flights and landed with power still in battery. Stall speed is a little high but flies comfortably at half throttle, full thottle gives vertical climb! Needs a little thottle when landing so you cant float her in. In the air she looks great and flies and manouvres like a real spitfire.Havent flown her since the paint job so cant wait to get her airborne again, but weather is not looking hopeful in the U.K for a while.See pics.

Tip: I find the best way is to print out the tiled plans and glue to the posterboard with pva, when dry cutting through the lines is much easier than trying to cut round a paper profile. Glue the plans on the posterboard with excess paper around the outlines then you can cut through the actual lines accurately.

spitfire (4).jpgspitfire (3).jpgspitfire (2).jpgspitfire (1).jpg

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:12:18

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:13:25

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:14:39

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:15:25

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:16:56

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:18:16

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:23:02

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:25:29

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:32:42

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:34:40

Edited By foamidable on 20/10/2014 16:35:18