GPS tracker (Finder)

Phil 9

I saw a news story this morning about a dog rescue . The dog was found after the owner used a GPS system linked to a smart phone to track the dog (it was then rescued from a frozen lake buy fire crews)

I know people also use them as model finders

I thought it would be a good idea to get one for my 4 year old son. Not that I let him run about unattended but I thought it would be a good idea as a backup just in case

has anyone have any experience using these type of systems and do you have any recommendations

Advert

Never tried but a smart phone can be set to provide location details are various levels including GPS. It's part of Google "Latitude" location sharing which was separate but has now been consolidated into Google maps. You can control who sees the maps and at what level of detail.

At 4 yrs old he probably doesn't have a phone but it won't be long - and anyway even if doesn't use it what difference would there be in him carrying phone versus a GPS tracker?

There's many GPS trackers on the market, often used by cross country walkers, mountaineers etc. Quite pricey though. Here's a randomly chosen example.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 24/12/2013 15:40:04

**LINK**

These devices are worth a look, I use one on my Quad-Copter, they send back a GPS location when you call/text them, so about 3M accuracy. They are quite small. Some are available with less functions, even cheaper. rechargeable battery lasts about 1-day, maybe a bit more. Needs a SIM Card PAYG with credit, enough to send a txt message. Some of them link a smart phone back to Google earth to show you exactly where the unit is.

You can also get other GPS data off some, like speed and track details, so very versatile.