Oleos to fit E-Flite retracts

Hi all.

I have some E-flite 15-25 retracts (EFLG200) that have a 3.5mm strut diameter.

Does anyone know of any Oleos that will fit these retracts (around about 100mm long)? I have been hunting around with little success – most Oleos have a 5mm strut. Failing that, has anyone used some sort of 5mm-3.5mm reducer?

P.S. They will be used in a Cambrian Spitfire - 55inch version.

Advert

Hi CS.

I am at the thinking stage at the moment - trying to figure out how best to install the retracts and plucking up courage to start hacking at foam!

I have been following your build with interest - did you cut down the struts that came with the E-flite retracts to match the length of the fixed legs that came with the Spitfire kit?

I will start a build thread once I get going.

I found out the full size leg length and divided it by 8, which is about 105mm from the pivot point on the retract to the centre of the wheel which is where they are mounted. Here are my retracts mounted.

Retract mounts (underside)

Retract mounts (top of wing)

I had to put in some packing pieces to get the wheels to retract fully. It's a nice plane and has a good Spitfire outline.

CS

• 4 weeks later...

I have got hold of some Hobbyking oleos which look quite nice. They have a 5mm strut and the retracts will only accept a 3.5mm strut.

img_1643.jpg

img_1649.jpg

If I had a lathe (I don't), I guess I could mill down half of the pin to 3.5mm diameter as such:

strut.jpg

I have been trying to find if anyone sells such a thing. Has anyone overcome this problem?

I am sure this is not an uncommon problem as most oleos seem to have a 5mm diameter strut.