The HM 14

I seem to have lost interest at the moment , so this wont be ready for the indoor meeting , started repairs on other indoor models .

But for the time being here is some pictures of the motor bike engine .

frontmotor.jpg

sidemotor.jpg

It weighed 55 grams , i used a dremel on the inside of the cast metal engine .

It now weighs 34 Grams , i fear it is still too heavy , i may be able to reduce it a little more if i had smaller tool bits to get in the little nooks and cranny`s .

Shame as it looks as though it has potential and runs fine too.

motoron.jpg

Would still need to think on the right way to fit it , possible with supporting wires .

I could position the battery and timer near the back to get the CoG right .

This one will take some pondering to decide if i stick with it or move onto constructing a balsa one .

Hi ,

I have decided not to use the metal motor bike engine as it is too heavy .

And i have made my own gear box and used a 1s Brush less motor .

brushless.jpg

The complete motor setup only weighs 10 grams minus the Esc and timer that is also in the picture .

The plan is to cover the motor in foam and sculpture it to look like a engine.

Steve,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 21/02/2014 21:50:43

Hi Ian ,

You are correct, i made that from memory as i have taken photos of the flying flea and the spare engines on display at Lakeland motor museum .

But the computer that my pictures are on i can not use as my kidz have spilt coke on my keyboard so i can not login .

As soon as i can login i will make changes , so as i said it is not as scale , i think that it was more engine block than pistons and a remember some copper pipes coming out of it .

I will also post my pictures of the real flying flea engine as soon as i get a new keyboard that is .

Cheers Steve ,

0688114.jpgHello Stephen,

You're Flea is looking good, Ihope to get to the next Rochdale indoor meet and see it fly. I've attached a couple of photo's of the Scott engine on the HM14 in the museum of science and industry. The photo's are from Airliners.net,there are some really good pictures on there.

Regards,

Kieran.

1424677.jpg

A little bit more work on the wings ,

rearwing2.jpg

Covered rear wing with tissue and weighted it 4grams and the white foam rear wing weighs in at 5 grams .

frtwing.jpg

frtwing1.jpg

The 1\16th balsa is to keep the wing to shape and when dry is reduced to 2mm .

It would of been better to bake them to shape but most should be able to do it this way .

The ribs have now been trimmed down and the wing parts glued together to the desired shape and are currently drying .

Well i Tried to get this ready for tomorrows flyin At Bury Metro indoor meeting but i guess it was not to bee .

freefleaa.jpg

freefleab.jpg

freefleac.jpg

As you can see i have the wheels and some struts to finish off as well as the electronics .

I may get a bit of tinkering time tomorrow .

If not will go with the RC version and hopefully i will not forget the camera this time .

Cheers lyne,

I russed to get it finished for Bury`s indoor flyin .

And as a result i did not charge bateries and on the free flight version i did not have time to fit a on/off switch so i also did not sheet the under side of the model .

And that meant i had to quickly fit a batery and then sett the model down which also meant that i could not adjust the settings on the timer .

And this is the result .

Lesson take youre time .

It`s Finished .

1550a.jpg

1551aled.jpg

1564a.jpg

I have fitted the battery switch and finished the sheeting on the bottom and checked the timer settings .

Which was set to low speed so no wonder it would not take off .

Strange thing is that it is heavier than the Rc version surprise

Hopefully it`s next outing will be more successful .

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again ,

I have added some more pictures to my album as A4 which should work as a print out plan .

If you are interested in giving this one a go .

View the picture as full screen and use, save as , which should work out as a plan spread over several copy`s .

if that is ok with the Mods who control this site of course .

the hm 14 flea1.jpg

This one shows the lay out .

• 6 months later...

Here is a Video update of these two Novelty planes wink.

A little more trimming sessions needed for the free flight version.
Shame my son did not video the last one from start to finish but then again that just would not be Paul.
I may try to trim it to go clockwise next time as at present at the end of the power run it flies straight into walls .
Steve