Optical Tacho

Hi Guys,

I bought a JP Micro Tacho some time ago but have never used it and over time I've lost the instructions that came with it. I seem to remember that the displayed value (2, 3 or 4 blades) had to be multiplied or divided by a number to give you the correct RPM. does anyone know what this number is?

Cheers,

Doug.

Advert

Timbo,

After reading your excellent articles in the mag this past couple of months, do you really need to be able to read the RPM of a ducted fan? I'd I've thought knowing what the unit draws power wise would be enough? You made it clear enough how the combinations of kV/prop size and other stuff works that even a "dyed-in-the-wood" meth-head like me would sit up and take notice!

Well done and am looking forward to your next contribution!

Doug.

Hi Doug...and thanks for the comments, glad you found it interesting and understandable - still think it sounded a bit complicated m'self for beginners - but there ya go - worlds worst critic of m'self I am.

The watts per pound rule and others such as "double and zero" ( ask me about that one later ) works pretty well for conventional tractor and pusher prop jobs, but if you take a look at the stuff I posted on fan testing that I did
( it is quite interesting -honest ) - you can see that pure wattage does'nt really tell the story when testing EDF.

Whereas it is accepted that different makes of propellors do indeed vary in their efficiency, EDF rotors vary a lot.

You will see from the test rig I made, that static thrust with a midifan rotor was much higher ( over 25% ) for LESS watts than on a different rotor. Accepting that flight figures will be different, and different efflux tube diameters will vary thrust versus speed, it did nonetheless show the merit of other measurements as well as pure Amps / power.

Check it out - its got videos too !

Hi Eric, - yes I tried that already, but my fairly old ( 25 years ? ) optical tach could not cope with anything above 20000 RPM, and this fan unit is way past that. I have an eagle tree data logger on order, and this will measure RPM via the ESC "signals" and also many other parameters such as radio supply voltage levels reached in flight, temperature, altitude etc etc.

Timbo,

Regarding ESC "signals", a lot of people don't realise that modern Brushless motors are in fact three-phase Induction Motors. The signals you are looking at are the Pulse Width Modulation outputs from what is essentially a three phase inverter!

I work on simillar systems that can drive up to a 2 mega watt motor!