LiPo cell count help

Tim Budd

Hi Guys Let me introduce myself to these forums - I am complete newcomer to RC flight, but I have joined a local club and the BMFA and had a few flying lessons with the club trainer. Now onto my question (I have been reading up about LiPos and I am about 90% sure with regards to my requirements but I thought I should check with the wealth of experience on here). I have recently bought myself an Ultrafly Tutor 32e trainer which comes with brushless motor, ESC and servos already installed. What I need is to buy my battery (so I can have power!). A look in the instructions says I will need a LiPo with a Mah between 2100 and 3000. So far so good. What has confused me slightly is the cell count. As the instructions don't specify a cell count (and I am sure this is very important) I did a quick work out in my head and found my head went rapidly into a spin! So a quick ask in the model shop where I bought it, and was told a 3s1p LiPo pack. So would a 2500mah 3s1p LiPo be correct for this plane? The set up is as follows; The brushless motor is an Ultrafly model F/18/30 (?) that has a rating of 350w and 1000Kv. My ESC is an Athena (also an Ultrafly model) 28 (amp) with BEC. The prop that came with it is a 10x5 APC. Also, any recommendations as to a make of LiPo would be gratefully received. How would I apply cell count to any future planes/motor applications? All I have read seems to talk about mah, not so much about the importance of voltage. Thanks for your help Tim

Advert

Hi Tim and welcome, you will be fine in here...especially with your name

A 3s LiPo is correct for that setup.

LOADS of different lipos around ( or brands at least... many originate from the same factory of course ) and it is a bit unfair to try and suggest one over the other. You do often get what you pay for in the Lipo world...but there are exceptions too!

The main premium brands such as FlightPower, Thunder Power, and a few others use Enerland cells ( korean ) and these are some of the best around. Budget brands such as HiModel and others are also good, and I have been pleased with the results of Zippy anmd Looong packs. Try browsing some of the budget offerings from our trading partners and advertisers such as BRC hobbies, and Flying wings .co etc. Puffin Models are always guaranteed to give good advice, but tend to stock the more expensive ranges.

As for selecting the right configuration for your next project, have a browse thriugh the threads here, and check the article I did over the last two RCME mags. It is best to know exactly what the model is going to be ( weight, style etc ) before trying to choose a powertrain.

PS dont forget to put a little info on your profile page

Hi Timbo Many thanks for your response. Yes, Great name isn't it? I was looking at a HiModel 2500mah LiPo (3s of course), you say these are okay. For trainers I'm guessing they will be fine. One more question, what sort of flight times would I get with a 2500mah? As I don't know the amps of my motor I am finding it difficult to work out. Could you point me in the right direction of some good on-line reading with regards to the formulas of electric flight? Thanks Tim PS. Will update my profile right now.

Tim. Without knowing your current draw - it is almost impossible to say. However I estimate your setup would probably need around 20 A or so, so expect ( with good throttle management ) about 8 -10 minutes. A lot depends also on other factors though such as wind speed and strength etc.

I cannot find that motor ?

Hi Tim! I have and Ultrafly tutor 32e too, though its still in the celler, after the first flight oppertunerty was put in its place by snow (why then, after all that time?). Anyway, I'me using electrolyght (if thats how you spell it) 3 cell 2600mAh 20C lipos. I bought mine from modelpower but they are only sold from Budget RC now (if only I could have had thoughs prices when I bought mine...). The ones I bought are not Availible any more though. Great value there I recon (at time of writing.) Also a point of intrest, In the instruction manual I recieved, it recomended 2500mAh to 3300mAh packs, on Sussex model centre's web site it Said 2100 to 3700mAh packs. Whats happening here, I think? On the web site it also says, "Battery advise – For extended flying times it is recommended that you use a 3300mAh 3S 11.1v Lipo battery on the model. It will provide 7.5 - 11min of flying time dependant on throttle usage! If using a lower capacity 2170mAh battery, the flying time would be reduced to 5-7 minutes." If you have any problems with the build don't hesitate to ask me for help, though I can't garrenty being able to, nor to respond quickly... Also where it says it can be built in half an hour, it lies to us mortals. It took me an hour just to do the wings (talk aboutslow...). I hope you find this useful!

Sorry Timbo, meant 10 not 30! Doh! Just got RCM&E and saw your article 'Electrickery Demystified'. Think I will immerse myself in that article. Hi Birdy That's really interesting about recommended LiPo. In my instruction booklet the maximum it has is 3100mah but doing a little research on the net has found, as you say, model shops recommending 3300mah! Who's right who's wrong? Would I not damage the motor/esc with 3300-3700mah packs? You will have to report back and let us know what flight times you are getting with your 2600mah pack. Mine is still a few weeks off from it's maiden, I am taking my time over the build to make sure everything is correct. Just as a point of interest, and trying not to change the subject on this thread, what did you attach your receiver with? Thanks again guys!

Hi Tim! Hopefully the maiden flight will be tomorrow, though that depends if the weather man is right about the rain he is predicting! I'me attaching my reciever by putting some polystyrene behind it then using cable ties to attach it to the aircraft. Also since I'me intrested to about the whole bussiness of attaching a reciever to an airframe I'll start a thread. I'll do a link to it once its started!

The capacity of the pack will make not one jot of difference to how the motor performs - it doesnt care - all that happens ( simply put ) is that you can fly for longer. Its too high a VOLTAGE and therefore current consumed which kills motors. larger capacity packs will of course weigh a bit more, but frankly the likely difference between a 3100 and 3300 mahr pack is few grams only....most models other than real lightweight ones will not even notice .

Quite correct Timbo - Forum Moderator (is that official?) simply, but if the pack is to small the size will count because of the max. C rating. Also the bigger pack because it is working at a lower C, so it will probably keep a higher voltage...

Thanks Timbo; I have been enlightened. The official question was because: a. You used to just be called "timbo" b. Because any old person could just write forum moderater next to their names. I appologise if you took it offensivly.

Sorry the wind put a stop to the maiden flight (dont you hate deppressions with all there wind and rain? Anticyclones are so much better!). Also rereading the "I have been eblightened" bit of my previus post, it does sound scarcastic... It isn't ment to be!

Hi guys Thanks again for all the time you have spent answering my noobie questions - even if it has been trying your patience Timbo, that explanation about the capacity and voltage has helped me - it is so obvious once you start to understand you feel like kicking yourself! I have been doing a bit of research and think I will plump with a Loong Max 3000mah (when they get them in stock!) and if I manage to get my maiden in before yours Birdy I'll let you know. Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, tim, timbo and eric and anyone who is looking at this thread. I flew the 32e for the first time this morning! It flew for about 8 or 9 minuits on the only flight I had (don't want to go and have a heart attack do we now!), on the 2600mAh pack. when I came down the pack was warmish. You could probably sqeeze a little more out of the pack, because my little flashing light thing didn't come on (it does a 9 volts)! It flew well, but it was quite airabatic on full rates. One thing I noticed was how quite it was. I couldn't hear it with all those messy (sorry, I have an unfounded grudge against them....) IC jobs floundering about! Hope yours flies as well, birdy. PS the reason for the jolly languidge is I'me happy! Hapady, Hapady Hee!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi again!, Hopefully will fly again tomorrow, but the weather isn't looking good... Anyway that is not the point of this message; The point is that I might advise that you beef up the front (by this I mean the bit with the motor screwed to it) of the motor mount. I say this because the second flight of last sunday there was a ping when my instructor had just take off and decided to do a bunt, which I thought was a wing band ejecting its self, but was infact the bit on the motor mount braking where the lungs of the front bit slot into the side (it was not the lungs breacking, it was the bit they slot into). This may have been caused by a bit of a bounce on the front nose wheel landing on the first flight, though I dont think the prop touched the ground? Anyhow, enough of my bad descriptions, you probably get the idea. All the best, birdy...

• 1 month later...