3D Flying

I have just mentioned this plane in the thread ''What new flying discipline do you intend to try this year''

yak 55.jpg

I bought this kit some while ago and thought perhaps it was time to complete it. The manufacturers suggested it should be fixed with a hot glue gun but I found this unsatisfactory so the kit found it's way to the loft for a few years. Having recently used RC Modellers glue on foam successfully I decided it was a better glue to complete the YAK.

I have read a few reviews on the plane which Great Planes suggested was very resilient,however some of the reviews suggest otherwise.

As used on the Wildthing slope soarer.I am considering adding some cross-weave tape to the YAK external structure plus coloured tape for UV protection.I did find a quantity of cross-weave tape was fitted to the inside of the fuselage and that most of it over the course of a few years in the loft had become unstuck and made the drawing-in of the required servo extension leads very difficult.

I gather the plane is no longer produced, has anyone built and flown one?

MJE

Advert

I had the U- Can-Do-3D for a while, it's the same build just different design.

It flew well and was good fun but I'm afraid it wasn't that durable. The wing roots especially were quite weak and I did reinforce them with cross weave tape, unfortunately it just meant that the weak point moved. Saying that, it was easy to repair with hot glue and tape and it tolerated all manner of extra bits and bobs hanging off it to repair it as well as a set of night flying lights. I was also using it to try and learn some 3D so it was probably subject to more than its fair share of aircraft/earth interactions! If you treat it a bit more gently I expect it will see you well.

• 2 months later...