ok whats wrong with my computer

ben goodfellow  1

are there any tech wizzards on here that could help mw, i have a normal computer tower / box that feeds my tv , i use it only for pheonix sim , well i have not used it for a few months , when i swiched it on i just get a black screen with a big E S on it with a little intel sign in the bottom corner, along the bottom there is also "press tab for post screen ,del to enter setup and esc for boot menu ,what does all this mean all i want to do is some simming , it driving me round the bend , any way thanks in advance , fly low

Advert

Oh... Sounds like your had drive has expired surprise

It boots (starts up) into what you have described, then looks for something (typically a hard drive) to run up the ooperating system, (WIndows XP, Vista.... WIN7... WIN8) and its failing here. Does not look good...

It could be that there is a flat battery that supports the memory that remembers the system's setup.

The setup involves remembering what disk storage you have and which devices it is supposed to boot up from.

Leave it powered up for some time.

Then power cycle it. Because the setup has been forgotten you will need to do the setup again. (I know that you never did it in the first place, the system supplier probably did.)

Then "Press del to enter setup"

This will probably enter a system of menus. What they look like and how you navigate them varies between different manufacturers.

With lots of luck there may be a "Reset to Default Settings" option somewhere. This might be your starting point.

Let us know how you get on.

Plummet

Ben,

​Just thinking out loud here...........
Have you checked that there is nothing in the CD drawer or if you have a floppy drive unit, there's not a floppy disk left in there?
If your PC is setup to boot from CD or Floppy and you have media in either of these drives then this could be causing you some problems. 
Regards

Roy

Edited By Electriflier on 12/04/2014 19:46:27

Don't disagree... If there is a CD/DVD in there and it is set to boot from CD, it will ask you to press a key to boot from this media first.

But good call - ensure there is no floppy (I remember those...) in there and the CD drive is empty and no USB sticks plugged in and restart after leaving it powered on for a few minutes. If still no joy, it sounds drastic...

As Mr Plummet says, keep us posted.

+1 for Plummets' suggestion.

We had a similar issue in work. One computer not turned on for a couple of weeks and would not boot. Taken to the tech folks who said it could not boot as the on board battery was flat.

It might recover, it might not as sometimes it need the onboard battery to store the settings. Leave it plugged, turned on at the wall socket, for a couple of hours and see if that revives it once gou boot it up.

no there is nothing in the cd draw . also ive left it on while i have my tea and beer so ill have a go later on , honestly i didnt even know there was any type of power in seid them as backup /storage the only thing i have plugged in is a wireless keyboard rx , i really want to get back on the sim before i forget how to fly . , ill be back soon to let all you gentlemen know if i have any joy and mucho thanks ,Ben..

If you feel like being brave you could press the delete key and go into setup. You need to go to the drives section of the bios and and look to see if the motherboard/bios is actually detecting the hard disk.

Does the computer sound like it normally does ? IE can you hear the hard disk "spinning" ?

Edit: The reason I say that is because hard drives can suffer from "stiction" where the spindle motor is a bit tight and can't quite "kick" enough on start up, Once it starts (if that is the problem) It will probably carry on quite happily until it has another "rest"

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 12/04/2014 20:31:12

A quick and simple check on a hard drive is to put one end of a screwdriver (the sharp end) on the HD case and the handle against your ear - then you will hear if the drive is spinning or not.

It could well be a dead Lithium cell - they're easily replaced. Go into setup and check the date - if it says it's January 1 in some year, that's almost certainly the problem (it lost the date setting and, if the date in BIOS pre-dates the Windows installation date, it won't boot.

btw - I haven't seen a rechargable CMOS back-up battery since I got rid of my '386 wink

Have you tried press the esc for boot menu? If not do so and you should see the option to boot to HDD if it is working.

If not restart and hit Del to enter bios setup. Look for the page which displays your system configuration. You should see listed the drives detected POST (the bleep you here is the completion of the POST) if you don't see a HDD drive listed against SATA or IDE you probably have a HDD failure.

Hope this helps.

A dead cmos battery would only loose date and time settings. During POST the computer checks what devices are available. A dodgy keyboard would usually stop the boot process with a keyboard error message.

So can you confirm that your keyboard is working or not?

Edited By Hogster on 12/04/2014 21:29:18

It stores more than just time and date - it also stores what keyboard is in use (and as the OP is using a wireless one, it will drop to default (i.e., a wired PS2 one)

There is also a BIOS setting on almost every computer to halt on error with an option 'all but keyboard errors' which will also be lost when the battery dies