Advice needed for a larger scale project

I have seen a very nice kit for a large model.

25lbs wingspan 97 inches length 86 inches

Because of the size I would need to build removable stabilizers as a minimum but most likely it would need a split fuselage.

Does making a split fuselage add a lot of weight? is it just adding problems to a build or is it relatively simple

Advert

Posted by ken anderson. on 13/04/2014 19:34:19:

hello Phil - you talking about a fair old weight there I would have a look on some of the large model forums for some good advice.....before buying/starting any build..

ken Anderson ...... LMA dept.

thanks Ken

It probably a non starter. I shall seek a model size I can transport without butchering it

having another think about this problem I don't think the extra weight too much.

All I would need is one extra former as an end piece to the split the use small tubes of aluminium or carbon with some bolts to hold it together. the further away from the tail the less of an impact the extra weight will have.

For some reason I have not been able to register onto the LMA forum for advice.

My other option is to draw up my own plans for a 30cc version of the RV-4 (or even the more simple lines of the RV-8) but this would be a time consuming exercise and I am not confident about my design skill for such a project.

This is want I want to build but it is just to big as it is. If I made it split just behind the wing join it would be no problem.

But reaction to that idea has been positive ( I know its not very common but I have seen it done once)

My initial thought was it would be no more complicated than building a two piece wing. But negative comments put me off the idea.