Wren turbine engine plans

stevejet66

• 2 months later...

I have just noticed this post and am interested, but It would seem that not many people are keen on trying to build one, maybe because of the machining etc. required.

I may have the machinery to do it but I still need to check it out and see if I need ready cast turbine wheels etc.

Guessing all the details of plans etc.are on their site?

Hi pc, yes your right home built turbines seem to of faded, Regards the plans for the wren turbine you can buy the turbine wheel and compressor wheel from wren, They are available, Its certainly a challenge to build one but the results are amazing, I still have my homebuilt KJ66 something i would never part with, Its going in my new jet trainer soon as ive covered it.

Posted by stevejet66 on 20/07/2014 09:07:43:

Hi pc, yes your right home built turbines seem to of faded, Regards the plans for the wren turbine you can buy the turbine wheel and compressor wheel from wren, They are available, Its certainly a challenge to build one but the results are amazing, I still have my homebuilt KJ66 something i would never part with, Its going in my new jet trainer soon as ive covered it.

Yes, it would definitely be a challenge for the average modeller who hasn't got the engineering equipment like a lathe and tig welder etc.(to me as well even though I've got most of the equipment). What would probably stop me would be my age and the possible price of the castings and the finished gearing! (I'm not clear on the pricing)

Certainly worth a thought though and it would feel great when it I'd got it finally fired up!

I don't think the average modeller should attempt it (some could no doubt afford it and buy it anyway), but without a good understanding of what is involved might stop proceedings. Some undoubtedly will have the ability to see it through of course, but as I said you need to be focused to see it through.

I realise I will sound very negative to some , but it is being realistic - I have had a lifetime of engineering successes, but also failures as well and know the pitfalls of not looking before you leap! - being able to afford it is just one small part of what's necessary.