Parkzone Sport Cub

avtur

The Sport Cub has just arrived in shops this last week, as soon as I saw it I knew I had to get one ... so nipped along to Webbies and picked one up.

Strange this particular model didn't feature in any of the Nuremburg reports but it has arrived alongside some of the well publicised Nuremburg releases.

As a typical 'Bind N Fly' there is little more to do than a bit of final assembly but I thought I'd I share a few thoughts in case anyone else takes a shine to one.

Unpacking the box everything appeared to be present although an additional two main u/c wires were also found. All three u/c wires can be seen in the parts listing (in the instruction manual - see picture below), however it is clear that only one matches the assembly instructions, there is no mention why the other two wires are included.

Also related to the u/c one nice touch is that there is a very obvious 'flat' machined onto the axle stubs to help make securing the wheels collets that much easier.

Within the screw packs there were several spares of different sizes, however there was one shortfall, which was quite significant. The wing is attached using 4 X 3mm machine screws ... sadly there were only 3 screws supplied ... luckily I have a good stock of small machine screws so I was able to replace it ... not sure a typical beginner could do this.

The Sport Cub is equipped with AS3X, this is built in to the AR636 receiver which is part of the BNF package. This is different to the AR635 receiver which is included with other models (e.g. Visionaire). There are no instructions included for the receiver although some online searching reveals the AS3X functions are programmable when the receiver is linked to a PC, a special cable is needed, again no mention of this within the kit.

Tonights plan for maiden flight were thwarted when I found the gates to the car park at the club field were locked .... the car park we use is owned by the near by gym, unfortunately they closed early today because it was bank holiday. Maiden flight will take place within the next few days, as soon as weather and car park access permit.

I also have the original 'Super Cub LP' which is an absolute delight .... this new 'Sport Cub' incorporates all the obvious upgrades one would want over and above what the 'Super Cub LP' offers ... so I'm really looking forward flying this model. 

sport cub 2.jpg

under carriage 3 off.jpgcollet mounting.jpg

Edited By avtur on 26/05/2014 21:44:46

Edited By avtur on 26/05/2014 21:47:39

Edited By avtur on 26/05/2014 21:52:55

Advert

Want one... laugh

A perfic inbetween size for the UMX, CZC pyramid...

Was gonna mention the floats, but it's been done...

PC programming sounds a faff.! and with no included lead.? Im suprised there is no manual, cuz the 635 in my CZC has one nearly as thick as the DX9 manual..!! Still confusing tho..

I presume you're gonna chuck a spare servo in, for flaps..

Your info was better than mine.. The CZC has flat spots on the axles, but I forgot to mention it, and probably other bits of interest, i've brushed over..

Shame about the screw situation too.. Apart from throwing in Imperial stuff,to mess with your head, they're usually good.. Infact the CZC has precisely ONE spare of every single screw..

Dare I say, they may have rushed the new line, in time for Nurburg..!?

Either way, it's a shame, but alteast it hasn't impeeded your build..

Has it got one wing, or two.? Does it come off easily.? How do you access the RC.? Presume, like my PZ Stinson, the flaps are all there, minus a knife cut n servo.? How big are the tyres, and what are they made of.? When are you fitting bespoke scale landing gear..wink

Just curious if it's similar to my PZ Stinson, in construction, or a mini CZC..?

Would love to hear how you get on, altho if you're used to the FunCub, wont be much to write about..

Waffling now.. Getting my coat..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

I'm suprised, after fitting full glazing to the UMX Cub, that they've gone with the all foam affair on both the new Cubs.. I appreciate the stress'es n loads put on that area of fuse, but it would make a big difference.. Second thoughts.. Maybe with glazing, the two foamie Cubs would compete to strongly with the 25e and H9 variants.?

Maybe someone will have a go at diy'ing it.. ?

Did you put the pilot sillouhette on, or is that standard.? Thats an aftermarket job on the CZC, as fitted in John's post..

Luv Chrisie.. xx

A couple of points to expand on thanks to the prompt from Chrisie.

The AS3X is all set up in the BnF version so it does work straight out of the box, I only found out about programming when I noticed the different Rx number i.e. AR636 and not AR635 as I've seen in other models, so I did some Googling and found out about the programming.

The wing is in two pieces with a single carbon spar which slides into the root of each wing half. There is a plastic saddle which then sits on top of the wing roots. The wing mounting screws pass down through the saddle and wings into captive nuts in the top of the cabin area.

There is plenty of space in the radio bay, the RX and two servos are easily accessible from the top while the battery bay is underneath with a large hinged hatch providing easy access. The kit comes with a 1300 3S Lipo but there's easily room for a 2200 3S in there.

One touch they could add while they're painting the foam in these kits would be to mark the C of G on the wing or the fuselage I usually end up applying little pen lines for future reference.

I haven't installed a flap servo as yet but certainly will be doing before too long.

Just waiting for the wind to drop a little so I can go and fly!!

Edited By avtur on 27/05/2014 15:37:41

I've just come across a Spektrum RC subscribed section on YouTube that is devoted to the AS3X programming of the 636 receiver. There are some 23 separate videos, and I've only looked at a couple, but they seem to be very comprehensive. I reckon this receiver could turn out to be a winner!

**LINK**

Thanks for the link Essjay, when I follow it says the playlist is 'private' any idea what that means? (Sorry I know thats a Youtube question not an AS3x question).

I've tried searching Youtube for AS3X AR636 but can't find anything, although there is some AR635 content.

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 01/06/2014 03:00:19:

Bump...

Any news Avtur..? Love to hear how you get / got on...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

No news yet ... very frustrating ... first few days the weather was not flyable, then last few days have been away with the family ... weather very flyable but no room in the car models ... watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I bought the Sport Cub on a whim and started this thread straight away. Since buying it circumstances have conspired against me to prevent me from flying it, first the weather, then a planned weekend away with family and for the last two weeks attending attending to a piece of work which sees me here in Jeddah, where it's very hot (40C+) and there is a lot of sand!

Since I work for myself these days I have to respond to work enquiries as a matter of urgency, it's all part of the fun and unpredictability of self employment, exactly why I chose to walk away from the corporate world and this project has been total focus for the last two weeks.

However in the next few hours I hope to be starting my journey home from Jeddah and with luck I will be home tomorrow afternoon. Having worked my little socks off for this job I'm planning to have a few quite days when I get home. My hope is that the UK weather will play ball and that I will finally get to fly the Super Cub ...

smiley

Edited By avtur on 12/06/2014 18:43:25

This might be of interest Chrisie, it's lifted off the RCGroups thread:

QUOTE: "Finally got to maiden the Cub tonight and I've a couple of observations:

1) The CG at the rearward most point makes the plane nicely responsive without being too twitchy.

2) It flies inverted with hardly any forward stick, slow rolls very neatly, spins nicely, can do large loops and also snap rolls well too.

3) Touch 'n goes and rollers are a doddle as the plane virtually lands itself (without flaps).

4) Selction of 1st stage flap with power on causes ballooning, but once the plane is slowed down sufficiently no elevator compensation is needed. At full flap it obviously balloons a lot more, but a small amount of forward stick is actually required for level flight."

At last, time and weather in the right measure for flying.

I got to fly the Super Cub and she flew straight out of the box, as expected. A delightful flyer through out the speed range, quite a good turn of speed with the throttle maxed out but would hold level flight on little more than 25% throttle.

She has a very pretty semi scale appearance and I got several comments about her looks from the guys at the field this afternoon. Today was the first time I've met anyone at the club field, I often use the field but during the week I'm very much of a Billy no mates flyer so it was great to meet some other club members

• 5 weeks later...