replacing motor shaft? (wot4 foam-e)

andyh

I've bent a wot4 foam-e motor shaft & broken one on an HK 3536 (910kv), which I think is the same thing rebadged. I have a couple of HK 3536 replacement shafts that I want to replace the damaged ones with

I've searched the forum & there seem to be reference to grub screws & circlips, neither of which I can find on my motors

any suggestions much appreciated - I don't have a press, or a vice big enough to accommodate a fully-assembled motor, let alone a motor plus full-length shaft. I can probably find a hammer though

thanks

Andy

Advert

Hi Andy....look at this picture = **LINK** can you see the shaft closest to the motor drum ? Look closely and you can see the circlip. The other end of the drum/motor housing should stick out a bit and you should see a small hole ? The grub screw will be in there and can be undone with a hex screw driver... Hope this helps ?

Tony

Andy, On my Wot 4 there was a grub screw accessible through one of the cooling holes in the bell. I made replacement shafts from silver steel - this is an accurately ground steel available from engineering suppliers. It is softer than the original, and also needs to be polished down in a lathe by a few tenths of a thou, or it will be too tight. It serves quite well and slight mishaps can be straightened in situ. As the bell is on the back of the motor, there is no need for a circlip. You can press the shaft in and out on a pillar drill, but unlesss you are confident don't attempt it. If you mess up the bore of the bell you will be buying a new motor.

When you get it apart, but before you do anything to the bell that may liberate any ferrous particles, cover the magnets carefully with masking tape. If you let filings get on the magnets you will curse!

Don't hammer it! Joe