Mini Atlas

Just spotted that this is 51" span for a 40 powered engine. It would probably be OK with a modern 32 or even a 25. My Curare 25 is 50" span with a SC25 for power and that is not too lacking vertical performance.

What power setup are you going for Gary?

Edited By Martyn K on 30/05/2014 09:12:06

Gary,

I look forward to your build. It'll be interesting to see how this version compares to the designs and kits put together by MK.

We've found that the smaller earlier 47, 48" span classics (Curare, Mattlas) work well on 25 size engines or 600W electric. These early kits were not designed for retracts. The larger and heavier (by about a pound) 52" span models such as the Magic, Arrow (a mysterious kit) and even heavier Cosmos and Aurora indeed do work better on 32 to 36 size 2-strokes or about 800W of power as suggested by Martyn. There are a couple of interesting light weight BB 40 size engines (32 size cases and weight) available such as the Evolution NX40 and Norvel AX40 if one wants to really get some power into these birds.

If your model ends up with an AUW of 4 lbs+, I'd suggest a little more power for classic pattern (or perhaps I should say piped two stroke) type performance. With electric it is also fun to up the Kv of the motor a tad and turn either 9" props on the 48" spans (~1200 Kv) and 10" on the 52" spans (~1000 Kv) keeping the rpm in the ~15K range on 4s. The lighter 3.5 lbs 48" classics do nicely with the various EF1 motors available on a 9x6 or even 8x8.

I will be building a 48-50" span stretched fuse moment Tiporare later this year from a re-design I did of the original plans. Somewhat different "stressed skin" construction approach. I will be producing a short laser kit if anyone might be interested. The re-design is well suited to either glow or electric power. I'm hoping to frame up one of each one with an OS EF1 motor and the other with a piped Webra Speed 36 (in Hanno's honour).

Enough detour. Back to the build!

David

Edited By David Oxilia on 01/06/2014 16:19:15