Gangster 63

The kit arrived today (Hermes Economy), and I have had a chance to look inside. The balsa is light and consistent quality (which it needs to be for laser cutting), and the laser cutting has no splatter on either side of any cut that I have seen so far. I am pleased to have the kit of cleanly cut wood parts, and undercarriage fittings (with canopy and cowl) arrive for £81, and I think it is a sheer miracle that it can come with what appears to be a complete set of fittings for that price, including engine mount, tank, wheels, and spinner. I am almost prepared to bet that the model could be made with simply the addition of covering, radio, .40 engine, prop, fuel proofer, and fuel tubing. Clearly this can be a very low cost, and very worthwhile project as either IC using a .40 engine, or electric using one of the 3548/12 outrunnners as used by Gangster.

Inevitably, I will make changes (I always do!) The wheels are quite light, and very suitable for the tarmac runway at Woodspring (and have been pre-bored out), but I will probably fit foam electric wheels. The spinner is a good fit for the cowl, but may get replaced by an Irvine (or Pelikan Profi) electric spinner, and whilst I am happy to turn smaller models over to fit the battery, I see a model of this size having a removeable top to the fus, so that WILL be happening - experience tells me to use a catch, and not simply rely on magnets to retain the hatch.

Looking at power, and following the lead of a friend who's advice is "Don't give your money to those model dealers if you can use something in stock", I had a search round: the Mega 22/45/3 (don't ask the price of those now!) will clamp into the kit engine mount. The Palicka Roton (comes between his original AXi design, and further developments for MVVS) fits into the 700 size "Aerovee MM2" mount, and that mount just fits inside the width of the cowl. An option is, of course, to build a box for an outrunner, mounted from the front or from the rear.

I have a few projects on the go, and a birthday present Electricub, so the Gangster will have to wait a while unfortunately. last but not least, thanks to Martyn for pointing out that the ailerons are trapezoidal - that could save a lot of heartache!

Having had a little chance to look through the kit - again, I can see it is a REALLY quick build if the model is being finished as intended (everything should just glue and screw together).

For electric, I see a need to cut down the formers in the centre section, and there is easily space to fit 4S 5000s if so desired (I tried one this morning) so 5S would also be quite reasonable.

Looking at suitable motors, there are a huge number. This morning I was looking at the OS 5010 810, and 12x8 is in the mid 50s in terms of amps on 4S (11x8 looks more sensible).

Unfortunately, I have been processing orders, and working on the web site today, so models on the dining table are still waiting my attention!

Posted by Jim Carss on 11/02/2017 18:47:48:

My favourite model of all time,Mick Reeves should have an MBE for this one

What, even before Prime Minister's hairdressers and personal assistants?

Like your Gangster Jim. Looking at what I have, I found a red spinner to fit, red, transparent red, and clear Oracover, so all I now need is the Antic off the table.

My motor will now probably be Mega 22/45/3 because it's there, and because it fits in the supplied engine mount.

I tried to create a photo album but came a little unstuck - will try again at some time.

John - looking forward to your build album - I also intend to use LiPo power, can you show the alterations you make to the relevant formers to make room for the batteries & the access hatch.

My last Gangster63 was my first low-winger (beginning of the 80s) pulled by a smokey old Meteor 60. The Gangster was guided by a British built (and proud of it!) World Engines 27meg 4ch Tx - put together by Mick Wilshire's own fair hand. Very reliable set too - also great after sales service, Mick even sorted my crash-damaged Tx at no charge when it came off the front passenger seat in a low speed shunt.

Sooooo - I'm looking forward to another trip down Memory Lane, this time with a Gangster63, later this year.

p.s. - it's nice to have the rationale for the motor options options explained as you did earlier in the thread - Thanks.