First steps in CNC milling with StepCraft

Hi guys!

I've recently read the July 2014 article about the StepCraft machine and I decided to get involved in it. Then I bough one (the 420 model), assembled and begun using it. With some software issues.

Is someone else using or testing it?

How did you adjusted the mechanics?

How do you feel with the supplied software? fine, average or poor?

Any comment or idea is welcome!

Francesco

Hi!

I have also become interested in the StepCraft machine. I have been using Stefano Durantis devCad , devWing and devFus for awhile and have recently upgraded to the CAM versions. I would be nice if those programs are able to output files that the StepCraft software could use. My concern about the software is that it has been difficult to find a specification of what the 'starter' version of WinPc NC is capable of and if it perhaps is necessary to upgrade to the 'economy' version.

I have as yet no practical experience of StepCraft as I haven't bought it but am interested in having dialog with people trying to use Stefanos software with it.

Christer

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo!

sorry for this long delay, as I was in a long vacation!

As delivered, the software included in StepCraft (WinPC-CN starter version) can only read PLT files, i.e. specially crafted text files that need to be produced using a kind of CAM sw with an appropriate post processor.

I tried to load a variety of different files format onto the starter version, without success.

Inside the supplied CD, there is also a more advanced version, but the license seems expensive. At the end of the day, this software is basically a processor, i.e. it takes data and pass them to the motors that run the machine. So I tried different solutions.

At the end, I've found a very nice CAM program, namely ESTLCAM, which can load DXF files and let you easily decide the tool route and other interesting information. At the end, it comes out with a text file perfect for StepCraft. It's not expensive, too.

Actually, I'm using a combination of my preferred CAD sw to design and export a DXF file; ESTLCAM to create the so-called part program (in PLT format); the WinPC-CN to load that file and control the machine.

The combination seems to work very fine!

Francesco

• 2 months later...

HI Chaps

I am interested in one of the Stepcraft CNC cutter machines to use from plan to produce wing rib and formers Etc...

Is there a way to use a flatbed scanner to upload plans to Coreldraw or other programs which will produce the correct file format straight to the Stepcraft controller?

Bruce Batten

I found this on the internet which might be useful as most scanners produce file in PDF format ,it may work to scan plans into the Stepcraft controller

PDF to DWG Converter
A full featured PDF to DWG/DXF converter that allows you to easy convert PDF to DWG and PDF to DXF without the need of AutoCAD and Adobe Acrobat. It compatible with any popular CAD systems.

Regards Bruce

Edited By bruce batten on 03/10/2014 16:58:41

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 04/10/2014 12:28:18

Hi Bruce!

We are using the "PDF to DWG Converter" at office to batch convert DXF files to PDF (i.e. the opposite), and it works very fine!

The problem with scanned files it that they are a mess of points (pixels) that have no mathematical relations one to the other, plus there are points which are simply dirt, spots etc. that were read as part of the scan process. So it is difficult for the software to be very accurate and reproduce a usable DXF.

In any case, the basic version of the sw provided with the StepCraft machine is not able to read DXF, only PLT files. A new version was expected at the beginning of September but it seems that will take much longer to be released.

Regards,

Francesco

Posted by bruce batten on 04/10/2014 10:30:07:

HI Francsco

I understand that STONEY CNC the UK distributer for Stepcraft offer a software package that is far better MACH3 that reads DXF files.

Regards Bruce

Hi bruce, MACH3 is by far much better than the supplied software, no discussion about it!

But, it works on LPT port, not USB, and so you need to purchase the optional LPT connector for the StepCraft machine and use an old PC with PLC port (in my case this is not possible as I'm using a Mac with a Windows virtual machine).

Also, MACH3 is not free, you have to buy the license.

Francesco

Posted by Fraazen on 04/10/2014 08:49:34:

The problem with scanned files it that they are a mess of points (pixels) that have no mathematical relations one to the other, plus there are points which are simply dirt, spots etc.

I have a basic bitmap to vector packaged with my vinyl cutter. As Francesco says the software has trouble deciding between jaggy pixels and corners. Circles come out as a miriad of lines and arcs which drives the steppers crazy and takes more processing/cutting time.

I have ended up (like I do in autocad) tracing over the bitmap. It is usually quicker than trying to remove the hundreds of spurios nodes generated by the software.

• 3 months later...

Francesco

Actually, the way I'm doing this is the same that Rory Stoney, Stoney CNC, suggest. Install the Parallel Port from Stepcraft and then use the UC100 USB adapter connecting to the PC USB thru the UC100 to the parallel port on the Stepcraft Machine. The UC100 is compatible with MACH3 and UCCNC. The UC100 looks just like the cable used to connect the PC with the printer, however, it isn't that at all. the UC100 is http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html and the UCCNC is here: http://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html Also, I plan to use Vectric Cut2D

If you will Google Stepcraft UK it is explain much better than I did. I hope my machine I ordered from Stepcraft US, arrives next week.

Sorry, but I have tried to "correct" the spell checker's red marks etc., but no luck!

Leo

Francesco

Actually, the way I'm doing this is the same that Rory Stoney, Stoney CNC, suggest. Install the Parallel Port from Stepcraft and then use the UC100 USB adapter connecting to the PC USB thru the UC100 to the parallel port on the Stepcraft Machine. The UC100 is compatible with MACH3 and UCCNC. The UC100 looks just like the cable used to connect the PC with the printer, however, it isn't that at all. the UC100 is http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html and the UCCNC is here: http://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html Also, I plan to use Vectric Cut2D

If you will Google Stepcraft UK it is explain much better than I did. I hope my machine I ordered from Stepcraft US, arrives next week.

Leo

• 1 year later...

hI all, I have been lurking on this forum and came accros This topic.

I have my 840 machine still in its packing and am due to start building soon.

I have been playing with the Vectric cut2d pro trial software and found it to be useful in that you can import drawings as almost anything, dxf, dwg, pdf, bit map..... and so on. it contains most cad tools you would need, including a vector joining mode and also a bitmap tracing tool which means.. scan as bitmap/jpeg etc onto a blank layer, import, trace round the picture on a new level, sort by cut2d cad. You can then work through all work and tool paths and then run these in a virtual way.

In the trial version you cant get any further so have a play (win7 back to xp needed) but if you buy the liscense, you then export the g code file into UCCNC or mach3 which will control the machine for cutting.

Pros - one program does most of the work

cons - bloody expensive (£360 inc vat for cut2D pro)

I have to admit that the worst bit is perfecting the pdf vectors but it seems to be the best program.

I have since found CAMBAM which is only 90 quid for a licence but the trial version opens 100 times before you have to buy.

Stumall

Hi Stuart,

I found really useful to buy a UC100 USB-to-Parallel port controller and change my CNC control software to UCCNC. I found this to fix all the issues I had before with WinPC-CN, like program freezing, connection problems, limited number of tools etc. The license wasn't so expensive, about 200€.

Additionally, I'm using ESTLCAM to produce the G-Code. It's easy to use, fast and also good for 3D milling.

Regards,

Francesco