Never too Late

At least i hope its never too late to learn.  I'm a retiree looking to get into electric r/c.    Made a few balsa kits when I was kid but not done so since.  How much has changed!  I like the advent of the electric motors and even the ARTF kits although i guess that takes some of the fun out of it.  Still,reduces the heartbreak of those first crashes - untill you get inured to it.  Do you?

Anyway, I'd like to thank the crew around this forum who have spent so much time sharing knowledge and experience to all and sundry.  Invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lee

Advert

Hi, Guys.  thanks for the welcome.  Choice of beginer's models seems to have been pretty well covered in this forum and the choice seems to be the Easy Star.  That's good, but I realy would like something of that kind but with ailerons.  What's the best bet in your eyes?

In a similar position to Lee.  I haven't built or flown for 35 years, when it was all 27mhz.  Now retired and living in the sun, and acquired an RCM&E Special last year, with the Spitfire XI plans for a .25.  Decided that it would be cleaner and easier to convert it to electric.  Unfortunately the local model shop guys are very i/c orientated, and have little idea about electric, although they do stock the necessary gear.  Just don't have the expertise to advise.  There are 2 other model shops which I have yet to visit - maybe they will help.  Meanwhile, will just get on with the building.

One small note - never did like solarfilm type coverings.  Always preferred to dope-on nylon or tissue.  Shame dope has gone.  It certainly smelt better than overheated solarfilm!!!

Dave

A simple and fairly decent way to assess the conversion from IC to electric is the "double and zero" system

.25 IC ? double it ( 50 ) add zero ( 500 ) therefore 500 watts required...'tis a bit general, but not far off.

PS hi and welcome aboard, you dont need a model shop for the help you need...its all here and more than any model shop will ever provide ! Incidentally a modern day substitute for tissue and dope is tissue and PolyC or even lightweight nylon and PolyC. Available quickly via the net, from here - once used, you will love it!

PPS for both you guys....heres the model you want then ...ailerons and all ! easyglider electric version

Or, it has been known for peeps to add ailerons to the easy Star. 

Thanks for the lead to the easyglider, Timbo.  I think I will put in some serious time on a simulator before moving into the real world.  I just bought a Futuba 6ex 2.4 and will digest the cost of that before moving on.  Also there are a couple of clubs near me too that i want to check out.  I go along with Dave on his memories of getting high on the smell of dope.  I guess we were the prototype glue sniffers 

Yes Lee, I guess we were.  Shame we can't still sniff it.

Seems at the moment I will have to iron-on as I have already bought it now.  However, I may be in trouble when the discovery is made that I have used the iron.  I'm already in trouble for getting PVA glue on the clothes pegs whilst holding some wing-sheeting in place.

Never mind - it'll all come right in the end !!

Dave