Radios & digital servos

Although I intend upgrading to 2.4Ghz radio when cash permits, I've never really got my head around the radio & digital servo combination. What's that all about?

OK, I know digital servos (like everything else digital) are more precise and accurate ie whereas the 'old' analogue servos doesnt or wont return to the exact centre position after a command for left \ right etc, the digital servo will.

But what type of radio (excluding the 2.4Ghz gear) do you need to get the advantages of digital servos? I've a Futaba FP6. Does this and other radios have to be used in PCM mode to take advantage of digital servos accuracy or, can digital servos be used in PPM mode?

Advert

Digital servos will work fine with all modern radio gear, in either setting, and of course, 2.4Ghz. Remember too that digitals take quite a bit more current than analogues, and many emit a slight buzzing ( quite normal ) as they hunt a bit harder to find neutral.