Best settings for learning PZ Radian glider on Phoenix 5?

Simon Hall 2

As a total novice, I am spending lots of time with this to hopefully get a head start after my first ever real flight with my Radian ended with a crash. I am using my DX5e transmitter with it. Can anyone suggest settings to give the best real world experience. The first thing I did was change the camera view to not zoom and to keep ground in view which seemed more real to me. Is there anything else I can adjust to make it more like the real deal? I am obviously playing around with different wind conditions and flying sites which is good. Hopefully spending time playing this for an hour or two each day will help me when I get to fly it again for real.

If you are in a club ask if they have done a digital version of their field for Phoenix, our club has and it helps a lot because you have spatial awareness of the real world with the simulator (probably a better way of saying that bey hey...)

Set the wind conditions (Speed, Direction and Gust Speed and direction) up away from dead calm because days like that are as frequent as the Preston Guild!

Plan you flight before take off, nothing complex, just something like, take off, 2 circuits clockwise, reverse and 2 circuits anti clockwise reverse and land into wind.... Stir in more complexity to taste.

Once you are confident with the radian, try out some more complex aircraft

Thanks Dave, as you pointed out, dead calm conditions are so rare and I forgot to say that I do not use this setting as it is too easy and the chances of these conditions every time you want to fly are like hens teeth. I don't really want to stray away from the Radian as this is my first ever plane. I really like gliders and just want to get the hang of this one as best I can before going at it again in the real world. Interesting you say about digital versions of club flying sites. I have done a quick search and cannot find any links to UK sites. Do you have any links that I can download just to try? Many thanks.

On my Phoenix I found the radion was much more resistant to turning than in actual life.

there is a much smaller radion out there I believe? Maybe I was flying that one I don't tend to pay much attention to the specifics when selecting a model 😳

when flying it for the first time in reality I was very surprised at how much smoother the turns we're when compared to the sim!

as for more realism play with the weather as suggested that's the best experience you can get, best to learn different conditions on the sim than the field lol

its great that you are using the sim, it's a fantastic tool.

keep at it, you'll get there mate!

very best of luck to you,

The digitised version of our patch can be found here......

http://www.rochdaleflyers.org.uk/

Download the file, unzip it into the following directory:

PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Sites

The instructions on the club web page are a bit sqewiff!

The simulated site is not perfect but it works fine apart from you can fly straight through our club secretary and his car...... but some may say that's an enhancement wink

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 05/09/2014 19:29:49:

The digitised version of our patch can be found here......

http://www.rochdaleflyers.org.uk/

Download the file, unzip it into the following directory:

PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Sites

The instructions on the club web page are a bit sqewiff!

The simulated site is not perfect but it works fine apart from you can fly straight through our club secretary and his car...... but some may say that's an enhancement wink

laugh Love the 'directory' terminology. I used to be a programmer 25 years ago and I still cannot call them folders!

Posted by Wiltshire Flyer on 05/09/2014 18:48:53:

On my Phoenix I found the radion was much more resistant to turning than in actual life.

there is a much smaller radion out there I believe? Maybe I was flying that one I don't tend to pay much attention to the specifics when selecting a model ��

when flying it for the first time in reality I was very surprised at how much smoother the turns we're when compared to the sim!

as for more realism play with the weather as suggested that's the best experience you can get, best to learn different conditions on the sim than the field lol

its great that you are using the sim, it's a fantastic tool.

keep at it, you'll get there mate!

very best of luck to you,

Thanks for your comment. I really needed a post from someone who has used the Phoenix sim and flown the real bird that I am flying. I am getting much better every day and I am mixing up the conditions. Can I ask you how do you think I will do in real flight after I have spent lots of hours on the sim compared to just trying it for real without the sim? How close is it to the real experience?

The comparison in terms of physics is close but reality is a little different but nothing you couldn't handle once reall confident on the sim 😃

A couple if hours on the sim should see you more than ready to get back out there with confidence.

thats another thing the sim helps with, confidence in your ability, learning which stick movements do what to the plane in flight and finding that as time goes by it becomes more intuitive.

you are going the right way with the sim it really does help 👍

I am really annoyed with myself being a total newbie to this and having just realised that I have been learning on the Phoenix simulator with the wrong controls! I originally plugged in my DX5e (mode 2) and the setup gave me throttle only on the left stick and rudder/elevators on the right stick. I have since bought a DX6i and when I selected this on the controls menu in Phoenix, the throttle/rudder is on the left stick and the elevator up/down is on the right. After resetting the sim with the DX5e plugged in, the rudder/throttle is now on the left stick like the DX6i and elevators on right, but when I pull down on the right stick, the plane goes down and not up! If I pull down on the elevator stick, the plane should pull up?

Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 13/09/2014 17:44:28:

I am really annoyed with myself being a total newbie to this and having just realised that I have been learning on the Phoenix simulator with the wrong controls! I originally plugged in my DX5e (mode 2) and the setup gave me throttle only on the left stick and rudder/elevators on the right stick. I have since bought a DX6i and when I selected this on the controls menu in Phoenix, the throttle/rudder is on the left stick and the elevator up/down is on the right. After resetting the sim with the DX5e plugged in, the rudder/throttle is now on the left stick like the DX6i and elevators on right, but when I pull down on the right stick, the plane goes down and not up! If I pull down on the elevator stick, the plane should pull up?

it's perfectly okay to fly a 3ch model with rudder & elevator on the right stick on mode2 (throttle left). your primary directional control is on the right stick, with the elevator. when you go to 4ch your ailerons be come your primary directional control, so they go on the right stick & rudder is relegated to the left stick

with regard to your elevator control, when you pull back (towards you) on the stick, the nose should go up, & vice versa. if you've got it the other way around you'll need to reverse that channel on the Transmitter

Posted by andyh on 13/09/2014 18:00:21:
Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 13/09/2014 17:44:28:

it's perfectly okay to fly a 3ch model with rudder & elevator on the right stick on mode2 (throttle left). your primary directional control is on the right stick, with the elevator. when you go to 4ch your ailerons be come your primary directional control, so they go on the right stick & rudder is relegated to the left stick

with regard to your elevator control, when you pull back (towards you) on the stick, the nose should go up, & vice versa. if you've got it the other way around you'll need to reverse that channel on the Transmitter

I have a Radian glider to learn with and will eventually maybe look at the Radian Pro for myself as a second plane. I want my 8 year old son to fly too and now have another transmitter so that I can link up when I get confident. Should I be learning to fly my Radian with the elevator and rudder on right stick with throttle on the left, or throttle and rudder on left and elevators on right?

Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 13/09/2014 18:13:34:
I have a Radian glider to learn with and will eventually maybe look at the Radian Pro for myself as a second plane. I want my 8 year old son to fly too and now have another transmitter so that I can link up when I get confident. Should I be learning to fly my Radian with the elevator and rudder on right stick with throttle on the left, or throttle and rudder on left and elevators on right?

I think you'll probably find it easier to have your primary (or only) directional control channel on the right stick from the outset. that way, when you move to 4ch, you won't have to re-teach your brain to use the right stick instead of the left stick for directional control

Simon, Transmitters are set into "Modes" **LINK**

it fixed wing RC there are two primary modes 1 & 2 there are arguments in favour of both, in the end its really what you get used too

On Phoenix you can assign any Tx stick/switch to any control surface - so choose a mode and learn on it but I would advise strongly against flipping between one and the other, what the SIM will help you with is reducing the time it takes you to decide what the model is doing and what you need to do on the sticks to correct it.

Just remember if its coming towards you "prop the dropping wing up with the stick"

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/09/2014 18:35:24:

Simon, Transmitters are set into "Modes" **LINK**

it fixed wing RC there are two primary modes 1 & 2 there are arguments in favour of both, in the end its really what you get used too

On Phoenix you can assign any Tx stick/switch to any control surface - so choose a mode and learn on it but I would advise strongly against flipping between one and the other, what the SIM will help you with is reducing the time it takes you to decide what the model is doing and what you need to do on the sticks to correct it.

I suppose, strictly speaking, having 3ch model with rudder & elevator on the right stick is mode 4

I still think that having rudder & elevator on the right stick for a 3ch model is in the spirit of mode 2 - ie primary directional control on the right stick. & I definitely think it makes for an easier transition to 4ch whilst learning

it would never occur to me to put the rudder on a 3ch model on the left stick, but then I don't think I've ever flown anything without ailerons, so maybe I'm biased

Sorry, still confused. I feel very comfortable flying the Radian on the sim with rudder/elevator on right stick and throttle only on left. Trying it with throttle/rudder on left and elevator on right was very confusing. I also found myself adding throttle accidentally when wanting to use rudder only. It seems like my transmitters, which I believe are mode 2 are set to fly with throttle and rudder on left and elevators on right by default when paired up to a real receiver. What is the best way to learn?

hi Simon,

as you can see, different people have different opinions!

if you're comfortable flying with rudder & elevator on the right stick, I'd be inclined to stick with that. if you fly any 4ch models on the sim, do fly them on proper Mode 2 though - ie rudder left, aileron right

on your real Radian, you'll need to plug the rudder servo into the aileron port on the receiver

Andy

Thanks all, will definitely stick with throttle on on left, elevator and rudder on right. It just feels right. I will eventually buy a Radian Pro once I am fully confident with the Radian and will use both for their different qualities. One day I would like to try something more serious, so I want to go down the right path as a total newbie by getting the right starter planes and progressing with the controls in the best way.

good luck with the Radian

I'd advise to see how you get on with the Radian before buying a Pro. I have a Pro, & I like it, but I view it as an entry-level thermal soarer, rather than a general sport plane - I rarely fly it if it's not likely to be thermic. you might find you're better off with a 4ch trainer, or something like a wot4 foam-e, once you're competent with the 3ch Radian

I have seen alternative settings (below) posted before as closer to the real plane, but they do not seem to translate to Phoenix RC5 so easily. Some match, but others are confusing for a novice like me.

I think these settings maybe for an older version of Phoenix (3?), as RC5 has more options. If anyone can translate these to RC5 for me or recommend any other settings to make the experience as close as possible to the real thing, I would really appreciate.

Now updated for V3.0
Physical
1. Frontal centre of gravity = 0.039 m (0.128 ft)
2. Vertical centre of gravity = 0.00 m (0.00 ft)
3. Yaw Inertia = 0.12
4. Roll Inertia = 0.05
5. Frontal drag area = 0.002 m2 (0.0215 sq ft)
6. Yaw Damping 15.0
7. [Robustness] = [Something less than 100%].......don't know exactly what though! Stock setting though you can fully nose the thing into the ground on the simulator and not break which is not realistic. Users set at their discretion.

Thrust
1. Thrust to Weight = 1.1
2. Thrust down offset angle = 0.84 degrees
3. Handlaunch speed = 10.0 m/s (22.0 mph)

Main Wing
1. Wingspan = 2.00 m (6.56 ft)
2. Dihedral = 2.0 deg
3. Wing root airfoil = NACA 2209
4. Wing tip airfoil = NACA 2209

Control Surfaces
1. Tail Distance = 0.7 m (2.30 ft)
2. Elevator Area = 0.013 m2 (0.140 sq ft)
3. Fin Area = 0.013 m2 (0.140 sq ft)
4. Fin Height = 0.10 m (0.33 ft)
5. Rudder Travel = 24 deg
6. Rudder Area = 0.018 m2 (0.194 sq ft)
7. Flap Travel = 0 deg
8. Swap Rudder -> Aileron Channel = Checked

Undercarriage
1. Frontal gear friction = 0.0001 (Doesn't seem to do much though........still doesn't slide on belly very well)
2. Guide wheel travel = 0 deg

Mixing
Rudder -> Roll Coupling = 110.0

Sound
Engine Type = Medium Electric