STORM 3D

Joseph Mccloskey

JUST FLOWN TWISTER STORM 3D AFTER A LAYOFF FROM HELICOPTERS OF ALMOST 12 YEARS (DUE TO SKIN PROBLEMS WITH REACTION TO METHANOL/OIL FUEL)HAD TO STOP FLYING UNTIL ELECTRIC BECAME A PRACTICAL PROPOSITION.STORM IS A FANTASTIC LITTLE HELICOPTER.SECOND FLIGHT WAS IN 15 MPH WIND AND STORM HANDLED THIS NO PROBLEM!!!!!!TAKES A BIT OF PRACTICE TO GET BACK INTO THE SWING OF IT ALL.WOULD STILL PREFER TO BE ABLE TO FLY CHOPPER WITH IC ENGINE,AS IT IS AL LOT EASIER TO GET A LOT OF AIR TIME IN.BATTERIES TAKE TOOOOO LONG TO CHARGE AND ARE TOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE TO HAVE A LOT OF SPARES.

I bought one of these for my son in March.  he could hover and go up and down a field in straight lines before, but now does proper circuits, stall turns , pirouettes, etc.  This little heli has taught him a lot in a very short space of time.  Watch out for the servo's and gyro, though.  Ours had a faulty gyro from new ( warranty exchanged for an HL 800) and within a few flights the tail servo jammed.  After replacing that one, it was fine for a few flights then started glitching badly.  I changed the other 3 servo's and all is well again.  And I agree with you about flying in the wind. It just doesn't seem to affect this heli at all!  A great little heli and a bargain price. We have 3 1800 lipo's for it, but thats not really enough. 2 more due to be ordered soon, I fear.

I've got one of these too & TBH it scares the living daylights out of me! However, I will not be defeated.

Gyro failed from new - after about 2 minutes of steady hovering (in an experienced flyer's hands) the gyro would just let go & the heli would go into an uncontrolled pirouette.

Replaced under warranty, let's see how it goes from here. Said experienced flyer recommended swapping the carbon blades for some white coloured wooden ones - (a) it would be easier to see the disc & (b) would slow things down a bit.

A few of my clubmates have tried it & they say, although it's twitchier than say a BeltCP or Blade 400, it'll be more rewarding in the end

• 1 month later...

I finally got it off the ground under some kind of control this evening     We have a fortnightly indoor heli meet, and last time out I switched the TX on, then plugged the li-po in, only to then hear the Tx start beeping - low battery

I'm happy flying the medevac, but this one makes me nervous. I'll get there eventually though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...