Duxford Concorde G-AXDN

John Timmis

Fans of Concorde (& that must be all of us) will be pleased to know that Duxford's Concorde is now once again able to demonstrate ,to the public, one of its many innovative features. It is now the only Concorde in UK able to droop & raise its nose & operate the cockpit visor.

Project Salute was announced today by David Cahill At Duxford.

Concorde Heritage Group carried out the actual work on Concorde to enable this to happen.

About 18 months ago HYDRAULICS on LINE, the company run by my son in law & daughter (Mark & Helen Tonks), was approached by Concorde Heritage to see if they could help with the project.

They were delighted to help by providing bespoke equipment & design help & expertise.

The results of the collaboration can be seen from today.

I was privileged to see see Concorde in action 3 weeks ago when I went to Duxford with Mark to meet some of the team at one of their training days.

It was a fascinating day out . This Concorde was the second pre production aircraft. The nose of the aircraft had not been moved since its last landing at Duxford 30 yrs ago.

I feel very proud of our family involvement in the project.

Please visit hydraulicson line .com for more details of the project, how it was carried put & a link to the Concord heriage site.

John

Advert

That is amazing! Well done and thanks to all who contributed. I will have to go and see her next year, I've never seen the nose droop on Concorde before. Interesting to see the original 17.5 degree position designated for landings, on the production models they changed this to 12.5 degrees, also shown on the video. So how about the engines next?!

Video

CS

image.jpgThanks,

Here are some of the team that made it all happen.

It was a great day out & I actually got to sit in the captains seat. I was quite suprised to see just how cramped it is up there in the pointy end. To get into the pilots seat you first have to step over the flight engineers seat, then over the central panel with all the throttles & engine instruments. Once you are in you are completely surrounded by panels of instruments & switches. All the instruments & lighting have recently been brought back to life so it's an impressive sight.

As we left the hanger we heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin. We were treated to an aerobatic display by a Spitfire in the blue Duxford sky. Perfect ending.

Apparently the TV cameras were there this morning, so keep an eye on the small screen tonight & you might see a bit more, especially if you are in the East Anglia region.

Cheers John.

Hi

Thanks for the comments. It was a great project & good to be involved.

If you havn't already done so, visit, '( hydraulicsonline.com). Near the bottom of the home page you will find a link to the whole project story & also a link to the 'heritagecconcorde' site which is packed with more Concord stuff.

Cheers John.

Hi

Thanks for the comments. It was a great project & good to be involved.

If you havn't already done so, visit, '( hydraulicsonline.com). Near the bottom of the home page you will find a link to the whole project story & also a link to the 'heritagecconcorde' site which is packed with more Concord stuff.

Cheers John.