RCM&E December - Aresti Aerobat

I read with interest Andy Ellison's piece about the new 2.7m Aresti aerobat. I'd be interested to see more details but this model does look like another from the RCRCM stable.

The wing and fin shape are very much the same shape as a Dorado and others. The fuz has been flattened out in typical aerobat style for knife edge performance. However, we are still left with that horrible, narrow diameter boom aft of the trailing edge. I have seen so many of the Aresti's stable mates come to grief upon landing, and not particularly hard landings either, snapping just ahead of the fin. This to me has always appeared to be a compromise between strength, lightness, and production costs. I would much prefer to see a beefier tail boom, as in the Flip or Stingray etc.

At the kind of cost the Aresti is likely to be selling for, The Flip seems a better option for me. However, although I will be in the market for a new aerobat in the new year, my choice lies elsewhere as my funds certainly will not stretch that far.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Hi Steve.
The designer of the Aresti Jim Hammond also designed most of the RCRCM catalouge before they parted company on bad grounds.
As a new design from a new manufacturer it is fair to point out that the Aresti does not currently have any stable mates but I share your concerns over the perceived weakness of the boom.

Andy Ellison