amps for wires

Hi everyone,

One little thing that has been niggling me for a while now and im still not sure of the answers.

So i have put the question on here ,knowing i will be enlightened soon.(yes Timbo, i have got new sticky buns to endulge in while i wait for the answers to roll in.....he he he he ).

Anyway ,...the question

What is the rating in amps for the various sizes of silicone wire used in electric flight????????

thanks vince

Advert

Hi Eric, yes you are nit-pickingyou bad man,....right.............lets start again for the sane..........i would like to know what the safe amp ratings are in the different size of multi stranded copper wire in a silicone covered sheath(is that better eric).The reason i would like to know is mainly for multi motored(not engines eh timbo) systems so im not adding more weight than i have to....phew..........

As a rough guide...

A single strand of 0.1mm copper wire will carry 0.05A.......i.e. 500strands will carry 25A.

A single strand of 0.2mm will carry 0.1A..........i.e. 250 strands will carry 25A

A single strand of 1.0mm will carry 3A.

Length is not an issue in this context as  a single  0.2mm dia. copper wire has only 500ohm/KM

It is usual to keep below 30% of maximum current carrying capacity.

As a rough estimate only, assuming good quality silicon sheathing, and well soldered gold connectors etc, then I usually reckon for the 3 most common cable and connector sizes on about.....

2 mm - 40A

3.5mm  -70A

4mm - 90A

These are my estimates only and not based on published figures ( which seem very hard to find )

Deans ultra connectors are good to 80A. 

Some sites suggest that these figures may be even higher, but I err on the cautious side,. 

Just found a wire table.....for single wire, not multi-strand.

In an enclosed environment (no heat loss?) A 19swg(1mm approx) wire max current should be only 1.2A

In open environment the above wire  will start to melt (fuse) at 81A (approx. subject to thermal conditions).

Plenty of room to experiment then!