A Mills At Last.

PC.Vere

Thanks ED, everything is as you say and i guess that rod is history really, but luckily I have dug up a new rod which I purchased from England a few years ago and that will replace it. However, I may have to have a go at making one for this project (which is a bit slow at the moment, (due mainly to babysitting the grandchildren - also a touch of laziness as well!) - but I'll get there.

• 1 month later...
Advert

I feel that I need to say that my efforts have been somewhat curtailed by some unexpected health issues (which involves not being able to stand or move around in my workshop), this is due to a hip replacement of three and a half years going badly wrong) but which I had expected would keep me working for the duration!

Nothing has been resolved as yet, but I'll continue to live in hope and I intend to carry on when that time comes!

Edited By PC.Vere on 27/11/2015 22:07:43

PC.Vere

Just a point but it extremely unlikely you would gouge the rod on any part of the crankcase without leaving similar marks on it. If it an original Mills the crankcase is magnesium which is softer than the rod!

The piston liner would be another matter it being hardened steel!

It looks like the engine has at some stage been run with the liner slightly rotated so the rod has actually hit the edges of the liner cut outs which would do a good job of machining those little grooves. wink 2

That rod really should be replaced before you run the engine.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 27/11/2015 23:03:46

Yes Simon, well spotted - That makes everything suddenly become crystal clear!

When we are looking at a disassembled engine, we tend (at least I did) to forget about the hardened steel liner (with teeth cut in) - this of course explains the neat cuts (not gouges) on both sides of the rod.

I remember that the "Doonside" mills replicas (from Australia) had a steel pin located on the top edge of the case where the cylinder flange sat and this registered with a hole on the flange, cutting out the possibility of the cylinder ever rotating.

There you go, I didn't know everything after all!

I wouldn't even consider using it with a rod in that state.

Don't think I'll be doing a lot for a while till I get this health "hiccup" resolved.frown

Edited By PC.Vere on 28/11/2015 04:42:26

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report that as I am having some big problems with mobility (especially in the workshop) - this is causing me to reconsider any plans I may have had - I may even have to forget having a workshop altogether!

Time will tell and I won't give up thinking ahead, so I'll put everything on the backburner for now and hope like hell that things improve dramatically!!

Thanks to all you guys for all the replies and interest you have shown - no doubt I'll still be looking in on the forum now and then.smiley