Closed loop line and guide

I would like to put forward the following idea for closed loop systems in case it helps any one. If it has already been done, then I apologise, but I have not seen it elsewhere.

The idea is to use a type of fishing line called superbraid instead of (heavy, thick) wire. Also, to use ceramic lined fishing rod rings to act as guides to help routing in the fuse, allowing the lines to be redirected with no noticeable friction.

I have fitted such a system in my Flair Puppeteer for both elevator and rudder, and have been using it since the maiden in spring 2014 until now and it has worked perfectly.

Superbraid is very thin, very light and does not stretch at all (hence it is very good for sea fishing from a boat). Care is needed with the knots though as it is slippery stuff - there are proper knots for it , but I find a dob of CA sorts it. I will be using this method again. Use a small loop of the line to join to the control horns rather than tying it tighly onto them and CA'ing, in case constant movement of a CA'd knot causes stress failure.

You can make out the rod ring at the bottom of the fuse in the pic. Using these means it should be pretty easy to install a closed loop system in many aircraft.

The line used is 50Lb breaking strain - most wire systems are 25 Lb I think - so this is more than enough and still very thin and light.

lines.jpg

Edited By GrahamWh on 11/01/2015 22:59:03

Edited By GrahamWh on 11/01/2015 23:04:05

Advert