Why not Whatthours?

Recently it has bugged me in bed, on the bus home, everywhere. Why don't manufactures use watthours as well as ampours for their lipos? Correct me if I'me wrong, but surely if they did this it would tell you the voltage stability, which would make a pack more comparible to others. Am I forgetting something or am I the first person to think of this (surely not!). birdy

Advert

I kind of get what you are saying, but surely the same principal occures with amphours? If I am right the stronger the courent on the battery then the less efficient it is, and the less amphours it produces. Wouldn't the measuring be pretty much the same, but keeping voltage in mind as well?

Yes, the more current being pulled from the cell the more likely it is that the voltage will drop somewhat, but that doesnt necessarily equate to inefficiency, and doesnt reduce the milliamphrs as such. I guess battery manufacturers would be understandbly a bit reluctant to "admit" or specify how much their cells dropped voltage by when under load.

Birdy I think what you are looking for is probably not available, the amount of energy you can extract from a particular battery is subject to too many variables, including, required life of battery, current draw, ambient temperature, cooling available, the battery chemistry, and I am sure many others.

Timbo has a good point in that the amount you pay for a battery is not any real indication of the performance you can expect.

Get one that will fly the plane, if you like it get more, if not try another.

Let use know how you get on.

Regards Brian 

• 2 weeks later...
 Hello everybody, just to back up Rusper's point, I bought two Mystery 900 mAh  15c lipo's off ebay, as a back up for 800 mAh battery on my lama v4, thought they would improve flight time ?, no way! about 4 minutes if I dont use rudder !, of course it could be my standard charger wont fully charge the dam things  and I should spend more money on a specified charger any answers would be wellcome cheers Harry.

OK, Timbo, the posibilitys there, but  isnt it true that lipo manufactures always insist on useing there own charger?, as a newbie i'm thinking that these batterys are put together diferent,not like a car battery ,all you need to know is it 12v or 6v , the only info, I, as a customer get is what it sayes on the package, I maybe mistaken on thinking that a charger thats made to charge a 800mAh cannot fully charge a 900mAh battery . of coarse to back up your point the 900mAh batterys shows charged in a shorter time than the 800mAh???,in the end all I wanted to do was to have longer flight times to learn to control this choper and this is supposed to be the easy one thanks Harry

Well actually Harry it is normally perfectly possible to charge a higher capacity battery on the same charger...it just takes a little longer - if its charging at say 1000 m/a and you want to charge a 1000ma pack then expect around an hour or so...if its a 2000ma battery then double it, and so on. As stated before I / we can diagnose any more, we need information such as charger type, output charge rate, state of battery before charge ( voltage level etc etc )