New Firmware

J V R

I have not done much flying in the last year, and have slowly been building/repairing so have not needed to do any new models/programming on my Taranis. I have been looking at the Frsky section recently and see that there has been a lot of chat about the new firmware regarding EU regs ect,I'm still using Companion 9X with mostly older receivers DR4-11,V8R4-11,V8FR & a couple of X6R's and 2 XR8's all pre EU upgrade. Is there any need to upgrade to the latest firmware on the TX and then have the problems that others have had with the RX's. I don't use the telemetry that much and most of my models are flying with the XJT module as I have more of the older RX's.

Advert

KF I've looked at that post a few times and can see that I will have trouble before I start !!

CB If you think that the 6XR & 8XR will still work on the D8 mode then there's light at the end of the tunnel for me. For now I will use the Taranis as it is with out changing anything.

Thanks for your help.............

Don't be put off by that thread J V R. It was very much a learning curve for several of us. I did the full upgrade to 2015 spec and it was MUCH easier than I expected.

What is really good about this is that we CAN actually do these upgrades. My Futaba T8J is locked with whatever Futaba chose to give me, at least the Taranis is future proofed as has been proven.

M

Only the X series receivers are affected. You can either downgrade new receivers or upgrade existing but this will also mean upgrading the Tx 2.4Ghx firmware to match. I was in a similar situation - I only had 3 X series receivers but elected to upgrade all (and the Tx) now while the subject is topical.

Martyn

• 1 month later...

I managed to downgrade a new spec X6R over the weekend to the older non EU version. A few hecups along the way but got there in the end. Not being a PC type of person it did suprise me that I managed to do it but I did get some help.

Now do I upgrade the TX firmware or leave as is,

are there any benfits in doing an upgrade to the TX??

It sounds like you are using revision 2940 (or thereabouts) of openTx.

If this does everything you need, then there is no need to update it.

OpenTx is currently at revision 2.0.15 (it's changed the way the revision is shown, 2940 was the last revison before this change), but to use that with the PC you would also need to install the latest version of companion.

Mike.

No!

The transmitter consists of the openTx (or my ersky9x) firmware and an internal XJT module. Only the internal module is affected by the EU firmware change and only if you update this will you need to update your receivers.

You may update the openTx firmware if you wish, but this will NOT affect the internal XJT module, that is updated as a completely separate operation.

Mike.