SC36

JT

I have recently bought an SC36.  This is my third and smallest SC engine, the other two are great and have given me no problems whatsoever.

Problem now is that the new engine is tighter at TDC than you might expect and I'm struggling to get my starter to turn it over to start - maybe goes through one or two revolutions but then stops.  If remove the plug is will spill alright, so I think all's reasonably OK, just the addition of compression is combining with the tight fit to cause the problem.

Also I've had to extend the tube for the remote needle - should this cause any trouble?  Hard to tell when it won't start at all!

Does anyone have some serious suggestions on this??

Advert

Try replacing the remote needle back to its original location temporarily.

The tightness could be just newness, ensure you use a good oil content fuel, I assume it is using a standard ( not long reach ) plug? Are these ABC engines - I imagine they are??

Try again with fresh 5 -10% nitro fuel, new plug, good freshly charged glow battery, and a hand flick to see if she will then start ( my SCs start very easily after a couple of purposeful flicks ) and once she has warmed and run in a little it may be all that is required. Use a chicken stick if you are, eeerrr... a chicken

Your starter / battery could be tired ?

All sorted - removed plug, used a heat gun directed at plug hole with piston at the bottom of its cycle.  Fired up and ran pretty well, although the longer than standard tubing for the remote needle has meant taking longer to tune.