Another plumbing question

Tim Mackey

My friend has a combi boiler system whereas im used to a good old fashioned boiler and tank. I am quite happy with altering the pipes ( half inch / 15mm copper ) and removing the rad etc but how should I stop the water ( heating is off at this point in time ) and will there be any Iissues "rebooting" after the rad is relocated.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 17/04/2015 08:07:23

You need to close both the radiators inlet and outlet the same as you would for old style boiler when taking it off.

When it comes to replacing it you need to plumb it all back in and turn heating on. Once up to temperature open both in and outlets and the bleed screw as you would the old way. The only difference is you need to keep the system pressurised by opening the cold in feed to the boiler for short periods to keep pressure gauge between 1 - 2. Hard to explain exactly in words so watch a couple of vids on YouTube.

Baz

Tim asked about moving the rad, not replacing it.

Yes you have to drain the full system. As its a sealed system, turn off the boiler at the mains, close the two CH valves under the boiler (not essential but useful) and drain the system, and mess to your heart's content.

Once your plumbing is done, first flush out the system to get rid of any flux, swarf etc. Then refill the system using the filling loop either built into the boiler, or located underneath it. Bleed all the radiators and the boiler itself, and re-pressurise the system to (usually) 1 bar. There should be no problems starting the boiler up again. You might need to put some anti- corrosion fluid in too.

Easy really......